What's new

Orbi: Ethernet backhaul kills entire network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's likely an ARP storm, as you have two links now attached - the WiFi backhaul along with the Ethernet backhaul.

Check your settings on the primary device...

This is similar to issues with Sonos...
What exactly should I be looking for? The satellite has a connection type of wired. And all the rest of my devices connected up via Ethernet like they always have been are experiencing the same latency issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I would do this. Turn OFF ALL wireless and wired devices. Disconnect any switches you maybe using and well. Start with a wired PC, the router and Satellite.

Start With a rest of the satellite. Reset it. Connect it wirelessly first. Let it sync and get connected. Once Blue, connect a good working LAN cable between the satellite and router. Give a good 5 minutes before testing. Satellite and Router should configure wired haul. Check speeds and latency. Any issues here? You might need to reboot the router once to refresh the change in the UI. The satellite should be on wired only back haul and should see any storms or anything.

If you get any good results. Start graduating adding a device one at a time and test. See if anything appears during this process.

Whats the ISP Mfr and model# of the modem?

Last edited:
I would do this. Turn OFF ALL wireless and wired devices. Disconnect any switches you maybe using and well. Start with a wired PC, the router and Satellite.

Start With a rest of the satellite. Reset it. Connect it wirelessly first. Let it sync and get connected. Once Blue, connect a good working LAN cable between the satellite and router. Give a good 5 minutes before testing. Satellite and Router should configure wired haul. Check speeds and latency. Any issues here? You might need to reboot the router once to refresh the change in the UI. The satellite should be on wired only back haul and should see any storms or anything.

If you get any good results. Start graduating adding a device one at a time and test. See if anything appears during this process.

Whats the ISP Mfr and model# of the modem?

So upon reconnecting the Cable Modem (Motorola Surfboard SB6141) and the Orbi, the Orbi is no longer pulling an IP address from my ISP. However my PC directly connected to the Modem has zero issues . Basically I am going to do a factory reset of the Orbi again and see if that does it.

Did you power cycle the modem? Sometimes you have to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back on. Let it sync. Then power ON the router or do a factory reset. Be sure the cable between is of good quality. I use shortest length possible, CAT6. Some of said that the in box orbi lan cable isn't good. I would avoid using in box cable.

Did you power cycle the modem? Sometimes you have to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back on. Let it sync. Then power ON the router or do a factory reset. Be sure the cable between is of good quality. I use shortest length possible, CAT6. Some of said that the in box orbi lan cable isn't good. I would avoid using in box cable.

Confirmed it's 100% an Orbi issue. Drug my old R7000 out of the closet and it connected to the internet without a problem. Also connected up to my hardline where the Satellite is and put in a switch....everything is working completely fine without any issues.

Still haven't let us know if you did the suggestions with the modem and Orbi router.

Don't use any switches just yet.
What is the Mfr and model of this switch you have?

Still haven't let us know if you did the suggestions with the modem and Orbi router.

Don't use any switches just yet.
What is the Mfr and model of this switch you have?

I've power cycled the Cable Modem twice and have reset the Orbi router twice in the manner you suggested. It flat out won't connect even when it's just the PC, Modem and Router.

Ok, wanted to make sure. Sounds like maybe your unit is bad and needs to be RMAd. Something to ask NG support about.

Ok, wanted to make sure. Sounds like maybe your unit is bad and needs to be RMAd. Something to ask NG support about.
The issue is that I just crossed over the one year mark last month for my original purchase. That unit was RMA'd a couple months after that, so I guess it depends on whether the Warranty clock is reset at that point vs the original purchase date. Unfortunately I let me 9 month open support case close in February seeing no meaningful improvement in the live video streaming department.

Also, the R7000 is running rock solid with no issues which isn't a huge surprise considering most of my bandwidth consuming devices are now hardwired, but it's a nice break from the Orbi mess. Honestly if I had done my due diligence on the conduit running from my attic to about were my living room media center is, I wouldn't have needed the Orbi system in the first place.

Last edited:
Well, might have to shelve the Orbi until next FW update and see if that might help.

Have you tried the system at a different location? Like a friend, or families place just to see if the problem follows?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!