What's new

Out with the old, In with the new. Need advice on QNAP and Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which NAS should I get?

• Total voters

vapor

Occasional Visitor
Good Day

I currently have 3 NASes which I am looking to retire/pass along and get a new QNAP or Synology NAS. Here are the 3 that I currently have and what I like about them and would like to see the feature in the new NAS:

LaCie Network Space 2
1. Has a BT client
2. Has a web based file browser that I can access from anywhere
3. FTP server that works great for streaming media while on the go (since it doesn't have dedicated Android apps, I have to use an FTP app)
4. Able to remotely log into admin page to administer and control BT

My Book Live
1. A user account can be given permission for more than one share
2. Can choose which media for DLNA/UPNP (does not need to be in the Public folder)
3. Android apps (but this is a double-edged sword because it does not work 100%)

PogoPlug
1. Software that creates a drive on My Computer. This is more than just the regular network drive because when my computer is on the network, traffic is routed locally (so I don't use up bandwidth) and when I am aware from the network, such as at a coffee shop, traffic is automatically routed through the internet. I do not have to do any changing and can always access my drive when I double click on P: no matter where I am.

There are several QNAP and Synology NASes that I am looking for such as:
QNAP TS112
QNAP TS212
Synology DS111
Synology DS211J
Synology DS212J

I was thinking of a single bay NAS as I could use the LaCie for remote backup target (since the new OS allows for rsync), so I would only retire 2 of the NASes. However, seeing how close in price the 2 bay NASes are, I could go with a RAID option (in the future) as well.

With regards to remote access, does either QNAP or Synology offer the kind of robust remote access of the PogoPlug where I can always access it, no matter whether I am on or off the network? I understand this is more software than hardware limitation, so if there is an alternative third-party, I would be willing to try it out as well.

My main use for the NAS would be:
1. Backup/Sync data both locally and remote (thus the need for that PogoPlug-like software).

2. Ability to choose which shares I want to be accessible through DLNA.

3. Ability to stream media in other shares that may not be set up for DLNA while I am remote (I think this is more an app thing that both QNAP and Synology does well?)

4. Ability to share just a file or folder with friends when need be (like how Pogoplug allows me to)

5. Ability to remotely connect to the NAS to reboot if need arises.

I'm sorry for the long post but I didn't want to miss anything. I hope I have provided my needs and uses for the NAS but let me know if you have other questions that might help me decide.

I was also looking at the QNAP TS119 for the fanless design (since all my 3 NASes are fanless currently; I like quiet) but the extra $50+ does not seem worth it. Also, if you have any other suggestions for other NASes that were not mentioned above, I am open to suggestions. My budget is in the $200 range without disks.

Thank you

Remote/cloud features of the QNAP and Synology OSes are evolving. Synology's DSM 4 Beta has some new Cloud features that appear to be what you are looking for. But I need to check with them to see if they require router port forwarding.

I don't think QNAP is as far along with cloud/remote access features. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!

Remote/cloud features of the QNAP and Synology OSes are evolving. Synology's DSM 4 Beta has some new Cloud features that appear to be what you are looking for. But I need to check with them to see if they require router port forwarding.

I don't think QNAP is as far along with cloud/remote access features. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!

That is awesome and seems to address points 3 and 4 of my needs.

Do you know if it indeed has a software that would create a drive that can be easily access locally and remotely and direct traffic as such based on where you are? I really love that about PogoPlug.

Synology says the DSM 4 cloud features use a relay server to handle login. So no router port forwarding is required and no dependency on UPnP either.

So I'm looking at the QNAP 112 and it seems to be good for all my needs.

As for the remote and cloud computing, it seems that they are both on par? Is the feature that you are talking about Synology's Cloud Station that automatically syncs?

Hi Tim

I'm trying to contact Synology to get more information about Cloud Station but I'm not sure how. They only seem to have a Support Ticket system but no Sales Inquiry.

The question I want to ask them is:

Does it (Cloud Station) just one folder to the NAS like Dropbox does or can I sync as many folders using Cloud Station like SugarSync?

Thank you!

I called Synology's tech support number, got a quick answer, said this was a simple pre-sales question, and got a thoughtful accurate answer.

After too much research of unRAID, FreeNAS, QNAP, Synology I selected the DS212 and am pleased.

I called Synology's tech support number, got a quick answer, said this was a simple pre-sales question, and got a thoughtful accurate answer.

After too much research of unRAID, FreeNAS, QNAP, Synology I selected the DS212 and am pleased.

Thanks for the tip stevech. Did you upgrade to DSM4 yet and if so, how is Cloud Station?

Does it (Cloud Station) just one folder to the NAS like Dropbox does or can I sync as many folders using Cloud Station like SugarSync?
Cloud Station acts more like dropbox, syncing folders between clients and the NAS.

EZ Cloud provides remote access to your NAS files via Synology-hosted Dynamic DNS. I haven't been able to get it to work, though. I think it requires forwarding router ports, which would mean it doesn't work via a hosted portal. I'm trying to clarify with Synology.

If you want PogoPlug features in a more powerful NAS, check the Buffalo Cloudstor.

Cloud Station acts more like dropbox, syncing folders between clients and the NAS.

EZ Cloud provides remote access to your NAS files via Synology-hosted Dynamic DNS. I haven't been able to get it to work, though. I think it requires forwarding router ports, which would mean it doesn't work via a hosted portal. I'm trying to clarify with Synology.

If you want PogoPlug features in a more powerful NAS, check the Buffalo Cloudstor.

Thanks for the heads up Tim.

The only Pogoplug feature I want is the ability to seamlessly switch between LAN and WAN access when needed without my intervention. It seems that Cloud Station on DSM4 does just that :)

Do you know if QNAP has a similar 'Cloud Station' or 'Dropbox-like' feature currently or in the works? I did not see anything but you are the guy in the know :)

As for the CloudStor, the speed is what is not appealing to me.

Thanks for the tip stevech. Did you upgrade to DSM4 yet and if so, how is Cloud Station?
No, DSM4 is still in beta and I'd do beta only if I had a non-critical 2nd NAS to mess with.
DSM3 has the very nice AJAX remote file access via HTTP (browser), though it requires you to do a one-time router setup - and this can be automated via uPnP if you aren't geeky.

Hello guys, this was a very interesting and useful discussion between you that helped me a lot, as a novice ineterested to buy his own NAS!

Last week I discussed directly with Synology and here I can share the resultin configuration:

So my "working & back-up strategy" is to buy 2-bay Synology DS 212+ (as "working" unit set to RAID0) equipped with 2 pcs of 2TB HDDs (expensive but reliable "enterprise" version)and another 2-bay Synology DS 212j (as "backupping" unit again set to RAID0 ->slower/cheaper NAS should be enough for backup purposes) equipped with 2 pcs of 2TB HDDs (cheaper "desktop" version this time). I will have set this secondary NAS to make regular and automated backups from the primary one ("working") NAS -so it will be mirroring it in fact as in "pseudo RAID1 between two NASes"!.
This configuration seems to be better than purchase of one 4-Bay DS412+ set in RAID5 with 4pcs of 2TB HDDs!

And additionally, for the safe offsite storage I will buy a "Single-Bay USB3.0 docking station" plus a 3TB HDD to be able to make (say once per month) a manual safety back-up copy of vital data to keep them out of my house.

And now, here is my Q1 in connection with the above configuration:
If, after some period of time, I will fully fill all 4TB volume on the primary NAS (and logically on the mirroring, secondary NAS as well), how shall I proceed with increasing the capacity from present 2+2=4TB to 3+3=6TB on both NASes?

My suggestions:
1/ after fresh mirroring task to take out both 2TB HDDs from the secondary NAS and put inside two new 3TB HDDs, set them in RAID0 and let the mirroring procedure to run again getting thus 4TB of data from primary NAS to newly created 6TB volume in secondary NAS.
Afterwards to take out both 3TB HDDs from secondary NAS and put them into the main/primary NAS.
(Q 1.1: will they be accepted without problems, if they were created in older DS212j and then moved directly to higher DS212+?)And finally to put another two new 3TB HDDs into secondary NAS and let the mirroring be run again, thus resulting in targeted 3+3=6 (in RAID0) configuration on both NASes.

2/ replace both old 2TB HDDs by 3TB HDDs directly in the primary NAS, set them to RAID0 and somehow arrange setting of the reverse data flow from secondary NAS to primary one.
Q1.2 will this be possible?
If yes, then just replace both HDDs in secondary NAS by new ones 3TB and reverse back the priority between NASes to the original setting to be able to start the mirroring of primary NAS in the secondary NAS again.

And one more Q: is it possible to upgrade the disks step by step? - i.e. first to buy only 2pcs of 3TB HDDs and use one of them in each NAS, i.e. to create scheme 2+3=5TB on both NASes?
And again, only after fulfilling these 5TB volumes, will I be able to complete scheme to 3+3=6TB without any downsides? What is the best way to proceed? Probably I will have to first delete the data from old 2TB
disk to have always a clean 5TB volume after adding the new 3TB HDD to be able to set RAID0 in particular NAS?

Awaiting eagerly your comments and advice.

RAID 0 provides no protection. If a drive fails, you lose the volume. So, no, you can't expand capacity on a RAID 0 volume by replacing one drive at a time.

Either NAS can back up to the other. It's just a matter of how you set up the backup.

Unless both NASes are running the same level OS, I would not count on moving drives between NASes to work.

I bought a DS111 in November of 2010 ($230, Amazon,) and two Samsung HD204UI disks. The DS111 has an eSATA port on the front panel, which comes in handy for transferring movies to the DS111 via a Rosewill RX-358 which houses the second HD204UI.

It is running DSM 4.0-2228 at the moment, playing a movie over CAT5e to a 2010 Sony networked television, which picks up the DS111 with DLNA.

The DS111 and the disks have always worked great, for me. I did not update the firmware on the disks, but have not had a problem, either. I turned off the write caching. DSM has a huge number of features.

Let us know what you end up with, and how you like it.

My 2 cents worth.

Don

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!