What's new

Outdoor APs that work well with ASUS routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxbraketorque

Very Senior Member
I'm looking to get an outdoor AP to use with my AC86U. I just want a single outdoor AP that I can attach to the roof of my cabin to improve signal strength at the boundaries of the property. 802.11n is sufficient, and I would like standard 802.3af PoE. I've done some reading, and it seems like fairly slim pickings. The two top contenders appear to be the Ubiquiti UAP-Outdoor+ and the TP-Link EAP225. There is also the EnGenius ENS202EXT, but the reviews are even less impressive than the Ubiquiti and the TP-Link units. Anyone have any experience with any of these with an ASUS router? One thing that concerns me is that the Ubi and TP-Link may have their own proprietary AP protocol that may not be allow them to be compatible as an AP with an ASUS router.

I'm using a TP Link EAP110, it does the job well for my intended use (ring doorbell and EZVIZ cameras). I use it as an access point with my AX1000 (and previously with a RT68)

There is nothing fancy about them, you set them up as an AP and you have to choose the SSID and channel carefully to cooperate gracefully with your router (for instance I used the same SSID and a different channel on the 2. 4 GHz band, than the one used on my main router)

Be careful though to not set up a VLAN as I did, it's not very clear when you first set it up that it is not required (was not having any effect with my ac68, but with the AX1000 it was preventing devices in this AP to talk to devices in the router)

Thanks. After researching a bit further, it appears that the Ubi UAP-Outdoor+ is no longer available. The EAP110 is still available and receives regular firmware updates, so it appears to be actively supported. I also looked at the Comfast stuff because of their claims of high transmit power and good receive sensitivity, but there isn't even a support page on their website. I did manage to find a firmware update for their 2.4 GHz outdoor AP that was released in January 2019, but there is no documentation at all.

I forgot to tell you the EAP110 is a Wifi N (300 Mpbs) though the Ethernet port on the AP is only 100 Mpbs (well it's not that silly since you can never reach 300 Mbps, but still you are caped to 100 Mpbs by the Ethernet port). What's nice with this AP is that the POE adapter is included (not sure though that the device is POE compliant)

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered an EAP110. I can deal with it not being compliant with standard P0E, but it seems so dumb that companies do non-standard PoE. I would think that a company could make a produce PoE compliant for less than the cost of the PoE injector and power plug.

Did you by chance look at the Cisco small business WAP571E wireless AP. It does both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and is outdoor rated. These APs are easy to setup as they have a wizard that does it for you. It is a 3x3 MIMO with three spatial streams on both 5.0 GHz and 2.4GHz