What's new

Overwhelmed about my needs for router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

technopeasant

New Around Here
I know you probably get hundreds of people wanting to be told what to buy, so I'll try to stay away from that.

A little background: I'm typing this on a 5 year old laptop (works just fine thank you). Our current router is a DLink WBR2310, probably bought around 2006. It has served us well, however it's been needing a reset probably three times a week - time for a new one. Three level 2400 sq ft house.

As you can tell, I don't have a need to be on the bleeding edge; I like buying stuff that will last, and so I want a router that is reliable and will last.

We have a 5Mb/600kb internet service (not likely to improve any time soon - such is life in the boonies). We have two laptops, two tablets none of which support AC wireless. Looking into getting Netflix. I'll get a new laptop in the next couple of years.

So I've been reading a good deal on snb, looking at rankings, charts, etc and my head is spinning. I don't understand half of the info that I'm reading.

I have narrowed my search to ASUS as they appear to have good reviews here and elsewhere, however I don't know which would serve us best. I think all we really need is wireless N. Also gigabit internet from what I've read, is pointless given our internet service is 5Mb - right? AC isn't final, so might be premature. Dual band - I think I'll need this if we get netflix and to avoid issues with wireless phones. I don't think I care whether there's a USB port, since it seems that they don't work very well.

Asus rt-n56, rt-n65, or rt-n66? I considered rt-n16 but that's already 4 years old. I've been eyeing the rt-n66, thinking it might come on sale over Christmas (hoping to pay <100), however now I'm thinking it's overkill.

Last edited: