What's new

OVPN client, can't change policy rules

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhodies

New Around Here
I have an RT-AX3000 router using Merlin firmware for the AX58U.
I use OVPN files to set up various VPN clients. One client uses the VPN Director (policy rules) to limit the VPN to one PC with the killswitch option enabled.
I upgraded from 386_2_2 to 386_4 and also 386_5_2 and now can no longer add or delete policy rules - there is no plus/minus button to do this. If I downgrade back to 386_2_2, I am able to add and delete policy rules. See attached screenshots:
Also, the killswitch no longer seems to work - if I turn off the VPN, the PC simply connects to my normal ISP - it shouldn't connect to anything but the VPN.
is this a bug ?

ovpn_client_settings_386_2_2.pngsovpn_client_settings1_386_4.pngovpn_client_settings2_386_4.png

You need to go to the VPN Director tab (that's why it says "VPN Director rules related to this client").

If you manually turn OFF the VPN, the kill switch, by design, will NO LONGER provide protection. In order to work, the OpenVPN client has to be configured to autostart, and left running once established.

That was a change instituted a few versions back. If you want something more like the old way, consider the following.

You need to go to the VPN Director tab (that's why it says "VPN Director rules related to this client").
Where is the VPN Director tab ?
These settings were under Advanced Settings previously, but now the VPN Director choice is under Network Settings.

If you manually turn OFF the VPN, the kill switch, by design, will NO LONGER provide protection. In order to work, the OpenVPN client has to be configured to autostart, and left running once established.

That was a change instituted a few versions back. If you want something more like the old way, consider the following.

Thanks, I'll look into this

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!