Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OVPN connection loss after TLS re-key

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Andaman, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Swazz

Swazz New Around Here

I was the other one along with @cowst who had the same issue.

First I cranked the logging up, almost to the max. Nothing in the logs to note. Just silence on server side.

I own two RT-N66Us. One is the 450 variant which I was using until today. I swapped it for the 900 variant and changed NordVPN servers as well. Same issue again.

I'll try the additional text in the config per the other posts and see if anything changes.

2. Swazz

Swazz New Around Here

Oof. Unfortunately none of that has worked. @cowst, be glad to tag on to your NordVPN ticket. If you send me the ticket # I will reference it with NordVPN.

3. cowst

cowst Regular Contributor

I did not see the issue in the last week since I re-enabled the vpn client (5 days ago), but it doesn't mean the issue is gone, and if it is, it means something changed on server side, because I am still on 374.43_2-26BAj9527 for a while.

About the ticket, twice I have been told the routing team was unavailable to chat, and I was invited to write them.
    Meh...

4. OGroteKoning

OGroteKoning Occasional Visitor

What does your custom config look like?

5. cowst

I had to open my mouth...
    Tonight the problem showed up again, so no need to share my non-working config. :(

6. Pete

Pete Occasional Visitor

I am on 68U, Merlin 380.67, NordVPN. Had similar issue consistently and based on the NordVPN support chat, I added the line "auth-retry nointeract" to the custom configuration.

Looking good so far.

Note: Make sure that you are not exceeding six concurrent connections to the VPN server.

Regards...

7. Swazz

Swazz New Around Here

Hi Pete,

I too have been using this line in custom config to no avail. Only using 2 connections at most concurrently. I fear your problem may reappear unfortunately.

8. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Use the following configuration instead:

Code:
    pull-filter ignore "auth-token"

That fixes it for PIA (I had nearly a whole week without any disconnection in my last test).

MacG32 likes this.
  9. cowst

Wow, I gave up and installed openvpn in every device (no downtime detected this way for a couple of weeks already).
    Perhaps I will give it a try again with this setting.

10. Tom C

Tom C New Around Here

Nord gave me many disconnects so I switched to PIA this past weekend. Ran a ping test (24 hr every 60 sec) on PIA and not a single disconnect and no error messages in the log file.

Here's my configuration:
    TLS control channel security (tls-auth / tls-crypt) DISABLED
    Auth digest SHA1
    Poll Interval 0
    Cipher Negotiation DISABLED
    Legacy/fallback cipher AES-128-CBC
    Compression LZ0 Adaptive
    TLS Renegotiation Time 0
    Connection Retry -1

Here's my custom config:
    tls-client
    remote-cert-tls server
    disable-occ

Running Merlin 380.68. The connection is stable. My config is bits and pieces of what I found on the forum here. I don't know much about networking so let me know if I should change or add anything for security.
    Thanks

11. Galaxysurfer

Galaxysurfer Occasional Visitor

if you have disabled the cypher detection etc haven't you turned off the security features of the vpn?

I want to find a better vpn myself since nordvpn seems to be playing games. constant disconnects defeats the role of vpn & opens up leaking your real contact info i want to be able to maintain a constant connection. is that dreaming? or is it achievable with a different provider? im using merlin 380.68 in process of upgrading so maybe that will help?

12. Tom C

Tom C New Around Here

If I set Cipher Negotiation to "ENABLED" I get lots of errors in my log: openvpn[5394]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: cipher final failed
    If I set it to "DISABLED" or "ENABLED WITH FALLBACK" I can connect fine. So I assume its using the fallback AES-128-CBC when disabled.

I agree the Nord disconnects are unacceptable. Hopefully they will fix this problem with an update to their server configuration or specify updated custom config options for routers with the Merlin firmware. I moved on to PIA.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  13. Wadadli

Wadadli New Around Here

My NordVPN connection seems to have stabilized since I made some changes. Yes, I run LZO compression (not adaptive). Cipher negotiation is disabled (just AES-256-CBC). I also added the following to the custom setup: explicit-exit-notify 3
    I don't know what it does but I saw the line in NordVPN's .ovpn file.

14. Pete

Pete Occasional Visitor

You are correct.

So, I cancelled NordVPN account and switched to PIA. I see a stable connection during the last two days. Unlike NordVPN, PIA does not refresh the keys every hour.

Configured PIA on GL-MT300N-V2 and it rocks.

15. Galaxysurfer

Galaxysurfer Occasional Visitor

I'm hitting the wall on sustained connection issues in rt-AC 68U with nordvpn. What tweaks can i do to fix this problem? It is very frustrating almost rendering vpn not doable with them other than my ikev2 mobile link. It seems like they have everyone on a timer so connection breaks at a predetermined interval. That is not the type of coverage I agreed to sign on for.

16. RMerlin

Try this:

Code:
    pull-filter ignore "auth-token"

It fixes it for PIA. I suspect something's broken with OpenVPN 2.4'x auth token support.

17. cowst

Do you think other clients like openvpn for Android have some specific mechanism to recover immediately from this auth issue (since they also renegotiate every hour but I never noticed the connectivity loss i have on the router)?

18. Wadadli

Wadadli New Around Here

For those who are interested; they can fill their boots at:
    <PIA website>/blog/2017/05/openvpn-2-4-evaluation-summary-report/
    It's all above my head.

19. RMerlin

Most of these clients are still using OpenVPN 2.3, which might be why they aren't affected. Also, the issue doesn't always occur immediately, for me it might take 6-10 hours before the PIA connection would fail its re-auth. A typical mobile client rarely stays connected that long.

20. cowst

I understand about the 2.3 client.

In my case I have the satellite receiver behind router vpn, and it goes always down, within 1 to 5 days.

The openvpn for Android is on my fire tv stick, again always on, and I never found it down.