What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was having problems with the latest Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.260). Even pings to the router (ping my.router) were dropping packets once every 2 minutes.

This Padavan custom firmware is running much better. No problems so far.

Any plans for exFAT support?

My USB drive is formatted as FAT32. Should I try ext3/ex4? Though I would hate ext3/ext4 wouldn't be directly accessible on Windows.

What do u mean by macbook drop? I was using it for a few days and i notice that it still have problem with 5ghz band shut off completely. What i did was, fix a dedicated channel(36) and use 40mhz only. It fixed it. But if yr talking bout dropping wifi in general, i havent get any.

On my Macbook the connection drops out from time to time, status bar shows that it's connected but cannot access network or internet. After disconnecting and connecting it works again. Have not experienced similar issue on Win 7 notebook. But apart from that this firmware is really super stable and fast.

Choose a fixed channel for both band. This is my setup for reference.
2.4ghz/40mhz only/channel 1
5ghz/40mhz only/ channel 44

Always choose 20mhz only if u have crowded wireless neighbourhood.
Choose non overlapped channel for 2.4ghz(channel 1, 6 , 11) im sure you are aware, just reminding.

how strong for overlapping channels?

I live in a rural area with only a few houses nearby. On occasion, inSSIDer picks up another 2.4 router on Channel 1 around -70dB or so. My router averages around -40dB. Is the other router's signal weak enough to be considered "not there?"

I live in a rural area with only a few houses nearby. On occasion, inSSIDer picks up another 2.4 router on Channel 1 around -70dB or so. My router averages around -40dB. Is the other router's signal weak enough to be considered "not there?"

yup, thats pretty weak. not sure your point though.

On my Macbook the connection drops out from time to time, status bar shows that it's connected but cannot access network or internet. After disconnecting and connecting it works again. Have not experienced similar issue on Win 7 notebook. But apart from that this firmware is really super stable and fast.

On the last version of the firmware, my Mac Mini did this.

On this version of the firmware, the problem has moved to my Macbook Pro.

It's only the stock Asus 1.0.1.7c that has been rock-solid so far. ALL other firmware updates have had disconnection issues on one computer, even the newer ones from Asus.

On the last version of the firmware, my Mac Mini did this.

On this version of the firmware, the problem has moved to my Macbook Pro.

It's only the stock Asus 1.0.1.7c that has been rock-solid so far. ALL other firmware updates have had disconnection issues on one computer, even the newer ones from Asus.

i heard from another forumer that disabling b/g protection fixed the dropping issue.

Just a reminder:

Make sure you pick the proper Region Code (USA, Europe, Debug) in your wireless settings, both 2.4 and 5 GHz (it's at the bottom of each page).

If you are in the USA and it's set to Europe, you will have weird, flaky, connection issues with various devices (trust me, it's the most frustrating thing to diagnose).

lan and wireless lock out

im running padavan's custom firmware now (latest build) and i have stumbled across a weird issue. It might be the firmware, it might be the hardware, it might even just be how things should work in a more advanced home router environment?

In a corporate environment i can see some issues with what im doing but its worked on all other routers fine over the years in the home.

I run a dual boot on both a laptop (2.4ghz g wireless) and a desktop PC (1 gig LAN) . the setup goes:

laptop: Linux mint 12, Linux mint 14 - Both same wireless with auto IP and both with same MAC (obviously but i thought id mention it). I Alternate between both.

Desktop: Windows 7 64bit, Linux mint 14 - Both same LAN with auto IP and both with same MAC. I Alternate between both.

Each O/S has its own host name.

The ethernet is disconnecting in windows and linux, i have to physically unplug the cables and try forcing the adapter to refresh all the connections at which point in windows i can see the router but its not actually routing anymore even though the WAN is up?

On the router i get ??? for the host name against x2 identical MAC's with separate IP's?
On occasion i manage to get the linux machines host name up and visible on the router and then i can use the internet.

The annoying thing is that a hard power down doesn't fix the issue? and further more this can disconnect the wireless clients after a while.

obviously there is a name conflict?? but given that IP and MAC is Layer 2 id expect the router to be dumb and not care what linux / windows hostname is running just that the same MAC SRC has requested a DHCP and gets the same in return?

Reserving an address on the router for one O/S doesnt do anything of course because the next O/S gets the same ??? conflict as its sees the same MAC

So is this a firmware issue? is there a setting i can use to help me out? even my recent but now not needed ADSL router (TP-LINK TD-W8961ND) didn't care either way. It just saw a MAC and left the rest alone.

Any ideas please as the lockup causes the physical router to lockup overtime and drop routing even though the WAN is up ? even a hardreset doesn't fix

this one is a big enough issue for me to put stock firmware back on ( :( which isnt too hot lets face it) or even in the end RMA for the new TP-LINK

Does anyone know what the mini and aria builds do? I don't see any change log for the latest 027 build.

Has anyone noticed that the realtime graph doesn't seem to reflect the traffic going in and out of the router
? The history seems ok.

Does anyone know what the mini and aria builds do? I don't see any change log for the latest 027 build.

I believe they are more compressed version, so you have to unzip them using any unzip programs you may have, but in the end it is still the same firmware. Btw where did you see the log for 027? or should I say the update notes?

--
Chris

Full build: included "transmission" and "minidlna"
Micro build: excluded "transmission", "minidlna", "openssl", "sftp-server"
mini build is no longer available

I believe they are more compressed version, so you have to unzip them using any unzip programs you may have, but in the end it is still the same firmware. Btw where did you see the log for 027? or should I say the update notes?

--
Chris

I didn't see a log. It looks like no changes.