What's new

Pair of GT-AXE11000 for APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gabebear

New Around Here
I’ve stuck with a pair of Airport Extremes because I really didn’t have any big issues. I’m hoping to find some new WiFi access points that I can leave in place for at least 5-6years without having to think about it.

I think I want a pair of GT-AXE11000 running in AIMesh-AP mode. The main thing giving me pause is ASUS’s weird/bad support for AP-mode(e.g. broken Guest-Networks that don’t actually block intranet access).

Roughly my requirements:
  1. I’m price insensitive(as long as APs are sub $5K)
  2. I HATE downtime(e.g. random restarting APs)
  3. I want to set this up and then not HAVE to touch it much for at least 5 years.
  4. I hate having to tweak/muck-around with firmwares.
  5. I have a router I want to keep(Ubiquiti ER4 w/ dual ISPs).
  6. I have a 2.5gbe backhaul(Moca2.5) between two points in a rather long brick building that make sense for dual access points.
  7. Guest-network support is a very very nice to have, but is not a feature currently used.
  8. We currently have ~50wireless devices on the two Airport Extremes.
  9. Only one desktop computer currently has Wifi6E, but we will likely swap out many of the older Wifi5 laptops/phones to Wifi6E devices this year.

I would go full SMB equipment with 4-6 central management PoE APs. UniFi, Omada, Cisco, Ruckus, etc. your choice. Better stability, roaming, coverage, management, native VLANs support, more bandwidth, more clients support, guest networks. Don't pay premium for early WiFi 6E home products. If the budget is high enough, do it once properly. Read the many @Trip posts around for professional advice and equipment ideas.

If what you have is working, leave it alone for now.

Wait a year or so for more 6E products to come out, then make the switch. If you buy now you are at the top of the market for cost.

Ya… I probably shouldn’t touch my APs yet. I was thinking by this time Wifi6E would be further along… time to set a calendar event for 6 months to reconsider again.

Ya… I probably shouldn’t touch my APs yet. I was thinking by this time Wifi6E would be further along… time to set a calendar event for 6 months to reconsider again.
I would think so too. Awhile ago I heard rumblings of parts shortages as the cause for slow 6E rollout.

The biggest players (NETGEAR, ASUS, Linksys) have their first products in the market. They are not in a hurry to introduce lower-cost margin-killers at this point.

The next logical 6E shoe(s) to drop would be from TP-Link. They announced a bunch of 6E products at different price points, but are shipping none of them. Then there is also-ran D-Link. Who know when they will ship? They are notorious (at least in my book) for announcing products that don't ship until maybe a year later...