What's new

Parental Control Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carlos468

New Around Here
Hi,
Could anyone tell me is it possible to set Parental Control Time Limits by the Half-Hour? or away it could be implemented into the firmware.
thanks for any advice help :)

Not supported.

HAHA, you could work some black magic off the Time zone the router is running in using a cron job :) restart the service needed for parental controls to re-read the new time zone. Have it go into affect at whatever half hour interval you have chosen for the time zone. Then set your time zone back, restart the service again :) and rinse repeat ..... pff.....

HAHA, you could work some black magic off the Time zone the router is running in using a cron job :) restart the service needed for parental controls to re-read the new time zone. Have it go into affect at whatever half hour interval you have chosen for the time zone. Then set your time zone back, restart the service again :) and rinse repeat ..... pff.....

Might be cleaner to manually create your own iptables rules for the desired timeframes.

Adding this at the UI level would be very difficult:

1) The existing webui isn't really suited to handle twice as many time slots
2) The whole timerange management code in the firmware would need to be rewritten

Might be cleaner to manually create your own iptables rules for the desired timeframes.

Adding this at the UI level would be very difficult:

1) The existing webui isn't really suited to handle twice as many time slots
2) The whole timerange management code in the firmware would need to be rewritten

Can´t it just be set in time instead of blocks.??

Can´t it just be set in time instead of blocks.??

As I said, the webui doesn't support it. Writing a whole new web interface, and also still having to rewrite the timerange code is beyond the scope of this project.

The block system is the best way to be able to handle multiple ranges in a sane way. Otherwise, you'd need to manually create 5+ different rules one by one, to be able to cover time periods over a whole week - very cumbersome to deal with.

Could anyone tell me is it possible to set Parental Control Time Limits by the Half-Hour?

At the risk of being politically incorrect - do your job as a parent - do not depend on tech as a babysitter...

Put a box on the kitchen shelf - the devices go in there at homework/bedtime...

keep consoles/computers out of their bedrooms until they earn your trust - sit down with them and explain the risks..

At the risk of being politically incorrect - do your job as a parent - do not depend on tech as a babysitter...

Put a box on the kitchen shelf - the devices go in there at homework/bedtime...

keep consoles/computers out of their bedrooms until they earn your trust - sit down with them and explain the risks..
That's a bit presumptuous to assume the op wants something like this to simply use as a babysitter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's a bit presumptuous to assume the op wants something like this to simply use as a babysitter.

Read thru the rest of the post - parental controls are well beyond settings in a router - I understand the concerns, consider it a tool, but it's just one item of many when dealing with these issues - and it's the least effective.

Read thru the rest of the post - parental controls are well beyond settings in a router - I understand the concerns, consider it a tool, but it's just one item of many when dealing with these issues - and it's the least effective.
I'm a parent and agree with your solutions and those are things that I use as a parenting technique.

But the op asked a specific question regarding parental controls and it's just a pet peeve of mine when someone makes an assumption the parent doesn't plan to employ other techniques.

Sorry, anyway :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

t's just a pet peeve of mine

It's just a concern - as a fellow parent... I'm a bit lucky compared to where many are at the moment - and again, perhaps taking physical control of devices, and strong stewardship of services on the internet...

As a fellow parent - it's up to you, seriously... no software tools can replace physical policies...

thank-you for the reply's im a parent of 6 some have to be settled on the half hour so keeping tabs can sometimes be abit of a task which i dont mind as that's what parents do, but thought i would just ask could have made life that little bit easier. So do i give them half hour more or half hour less now its not so simple when dealing with 3 teenagers. (i gave them half hour more) no big deal. :)
Again thanks for the reply's. And thank-you Merlin for the time and effort on your firmware's (will continue to use) .

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!