What's new

Parental Controls overwrite iptable rules from nat-start

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dypek

New Around Here
I am using Asuswrt-Merlin on an ASUS RT-AC3100 (previously on an RT-N66U), and am trying to setup iptables rules to block outbound access to specific MACs or IPs (smart plugs, smart switches, cameras, etc). I have iptables rules in nat-start, which are applied properly on startup, I can see my rules via `iptables -L`, but as soon as I enable Parental Controls, the rules in Parental Controls overwrite all of my rules that were configured in nat-start, how can I use both simultaneously? If PC is enabled on startup, same thing, PC rules overwrite custom iptable rules in nat-start.

If I put my rules in firewall-start, all Parental Control rules get overwritten.

I want the convenience of enabling/disabling devices in the Parental Controls interface (or via the router app), to block client (kids/guests) devices on demand, without having to ssh in and run an iptables command, whilst having all my "smart" devices permanently blocked in nat-start. Parental Controls only allows up to 16 devices, so having my 20+ smart appliances along with multiple kid devices is not an option there anymore, although this was my solution when I had up to 16 devices, for many years.

Thanks.

What does your script look like? From what you've said so far it sounds like you should be using firewall-start and not nat-start.

I must have accidentally had both nat-start and firewall-start running the same set of rules when I was testing this, you are correct, with the rules in firewall-start only, I have my DROP rules prepended to the PC rules in the FORWARD chain, thanks for your help.

Hello Dypek, maybe you can give me some more inside in the iptables on a ASUS router (Merlin). I was trying to add a cronjob to disable a mac-address at a given time at night and remove it again in the morning. I did get this to work but as soon as I look in the ASUS app the rules I make disappear. Do you know how to prevent this? I want to be more flexible with the Time Scheduling Parental Control gives me (only hourly blocks). Thanks, Kay

Hello Dypek, maybe you can give me some more inside in the iptables on a ASUS router (Merlin). I was trying to add a cronjob to disable a mac-address at a given time at night and remove it again in the morning. I did get this to work but as soon as I look in the ASUS app the rules I make disappear. Do you know how to prevent this? I want to be more flexible with the Time Scheduling Parental Control gives me (only hourly blocks). Thanks, Kay

I was able to reproduce this by turning PC off in the browser interface, my MAC that I had just previously added to the DROP policy via command line (same as what your cron would do) disappeared after toggling to off, however all my MACs that I have setup in firewall-start are still there, so there is something that resets this chain to the state after startup (after firewall-start runs). I assume accessing PC in the app might be doing the same thing as toggling in the browser, resetting your rules.

However, once I re-added the DROP rule via command line, toggling PC no longer removed the rule from the list, so I am not sure how PC is determining how to overwrite the FORWARD chain when toggling PC.

Can you maybe give an example of a block line you use in your firewall-start? and also where the firewall-start is located? (locate isn't available unfortunately)

I wonder if can create 2 firewall-start scripts (firewall-start1 and firewallstart2) and then create a cronjob that renames them to firewall-start at a given time. Maybe that way it's possible to have a more flexible block time schedule for the kids.

or maybe just entries like there are now if you look at iptables -S FORWARD:
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 08:00:00 --timestop 21:00:00 --weekdays Sun --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 07:00:00 --timestop 21:00:00 --weekdays Mon --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 07:00:00 --timestop 21:00:00 --weekdays Tue --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 07:00:00 --timestop 21:00:00 --weekdays Wed --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 07:00:00 --timestop 21:00:00 --weekdays Thu --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 07:00:00 --timestop 22:00:00 --weekdays Fri --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m time --timestart 08:00:00 --timestop 22:00:00 --weekdays Sat --kerneltz -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j PControls
-A FORWARD -i br0 -m mac --mac-source "mac-address" -j DROP

and change the times to whatever I like.

Last edited: