What's new

Parental Controls

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TimmyL

Occasional Visitor
Hi Merlin,

I had created serveral client list in Parental Controls with my RT-N66U with firmware 378.51 beta1, it seems only work with client which use ie browser, all Mac machines do not work with Parental Controls, Is it normal or I missed something when creating the list?

Macs (and portable devices) should work just as well, make sure you got the correct MAC address.

I am sure the Mac address are correct for those clients which use chrome as browser.
But the Parental Controls just don't function!

I have a macbook air on my wireless network with parental control enable using v378.50 and it is working perfectly well.
Please give additionnal details about how you setup parental control...

I get the client name from the pulldown menu and the related client MAC address (I had double checked the MAC address was correct), then add the client in the Parental Controls list,The Parental Controls function has switched to ON.
And no setting in Time management, the related client should restricted to his/her internet access.
But the client still has his/her internet access right now.
What went wrong ?

i'm not getting the impression that's supposed to block all internet access in the "web and apps filters". am i missing something?

I did test in the Parental Controls with Andriod device, it works fine with Andriod device, but still doesn't work with Mac device.
Any User/Visitor here can advise me how to work with Mac device?

I did test in the Parental Controls with Andriod device, it works fine with Andriod device, but still doesn't work with Mac device.
Any User/Visitor here can advise me how to work with Mac device?

Very strange, like i told you, i am blocking a new macbook air since many months by doing exactly what you are trying to do: I have defined the mac address of the device in parental control without creating any timer schedule for it. So when it is selected in parental control, the macbook completly lost the internet access until it is unselected in parental control. So it is working perfectly well.

Did you verify in wireless log when the MAC unit is connected if the mac address of your device is the same one that you entered in parental control?

Are you using the guess wireless network for this device?

Have you rebooted the mac in question?

Yes, the Mac Unit did connect to the router, the mac address same as the device listed in parental control.
Currently, I use the wireless Mac filter to restrict the Mac Unit to connect the router.

I have parental controls with an iMac on the network. The key thing for me was to ensure your device uses DHCP for *all* blocking to work as prescribed, though the latest incarnation of Merlin seems to be better with the Merlin NAT trapping most cases. One other thing I noted, there is a limit of 16 devices for the controls - whilst many kids have multiple devices, you'd need a line of controls *per* device.

If you still have issues, perhaps some screen shots of your settings could be useful.

My Parental Controls were working on all of my kids devices (PS3, iPad, iPod, iPhones and laptops) using Time Scheduling. However, with the recent switch this weekend to Daylight Savings Time, my kids quickly discovered that the Parental Controls weren't working as they previously were prior to the time shift. Prior to the time shift, my Parental Controls were set to only allow them access from 6am-10pm. With the time shift, I've had to update the Parental Control scheduling to 5am-9pm in the UI, which effectively gives them access from 6am-10pm EDT. The router's System Time is correct following the time shift on Sunday. Is this a bug?

Router: AC68U; Firmware: Merlin 3.0.0.4.378.51_0

Cheers,
M.

I have parental controls with an iMac on the network. The key thing for me was to ensure your device uses DHCP for *all* blocking to work as prescribed, though the latest incarnation of Merlin seems to be better with the Merlin NAT trapping most cases. One other thing I noted, there is a limit of 16 devices for the controls - whilst many kids have multiple devices, you'd need a line of controls *per* device.

If you still have issues, perhaps some screen shots of your settings could be useful.

Thanks all guys here, enclosed herewith the setting of my RT-N66, (The Mac address of my Mac device is 28:CF:E9:1B:64:21 ) pls check whether any problem with my current setting .

Attachments

• Parental Controls.pdf
    348.3 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Any guys here can help me to solve the problem or give me some hints or advice.
Thanks !

Have you rebooted the router?

Sure !
I had rebooted the router after saving the Parental Controls setting.

Last edited:
Any guys here can help me to solve the problem or give me some hints or advice.
Thanks !

i confirm that parental control not work like should work. For me (on n66u) block www but not block online games like minecraft or skype.
But RMerlin write that is asus bug, and still not fixed.

Is that mean , parental control setting is not function, and only block thru firewall function ?

i confirm that parental control not work like should work. For me (on n66u) block www but not block online games like minecraft or skype.
But RMerlin write that is asus bug, and still not fixed.

If you are comfortable with scripts, this link gives a script that was tested to block active skype, minecraft, and video streaming.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-disconnect-local-pc-from-wifi.21342/#post-155325

It is for an older version of Merlin 374.43, but should work on the current .51 version.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!