What's new

Parts suggestions?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anishppatel

New Around Here
I need suggestions for parts for a NAS that I would like to build. I need the NAS to do the following:

1. Stream media files including 1080p mkv files that can be 10gb plus
2. Download such media files using torrents and newsgroups
3. store my important documents

- I would like the NAS to be energy efficient but fast enough to stream 1080p files.
- I do not want to spend too much on it but it has to be reliable because it is backing up all of my important files.
- Since I will have important documents on the NAS i was thinking of going with a RAID 10 configuration. I have read that it will both back up my drive and make the NAS faster (don't know if this is an overkill). As such i was planning to use 4 - 1tb drives.
- The only bottle neck i see in my system is the Cat5e wire that is in my house. I was thinking about adding a dual gigabyte Ethernet adapter in case i am downloading a media file and watching a 1080p mkv file at the same time. If needed, i can run two cat6 cables between the NAS and my gigabyte router.

- The only thing i have decided on is my case which is the Rosewill Challenger and FreeNas. I want room for expand-ability.

I know this is lot of information, but i just don't want to waste my money on the wrong parts.

Thanks

If you've got decent 1gbe network cards and switches there's not much pointin adding a second interface. 2 interfaces does not automatically double performance. Software has to understand about using multiple connections and a simple streamer isn't. Same with file sharing. 10gbe interfaces are getting cheaper every day, as are the network switches.

If all you're doing is streaming you're not going to overwhelm a single gb connection. Just make sure you're not using wireless or a 10/100 network switch.

Remember, RAID is not backup. RAID is redundancy and reliability. The idea is it can keep things running if/when a drive fails. It does nothing to guarantee the data is safe. For that you use separate backup media or an online service.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!