What's new

Pathetic OpenVPN downloads Asus RT68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jak8

Occasional Visitor
I have been using an ASUS RT68U for several years having obtained it second hand. It came with Merlin firmware which following consideration I have retained and progressively updated to 380.63_2. I have a 100Mbps cable via VM and primarily use the system for downloading to a Synology NAS that feeds a Windows based KODI which I rarely use in streaming mode.

For the past two years I have been with PureVPN but I have terminated their service as the OpenVPN throughput via the router/NAS path was, in my inexperienced view, far too low at a constant 2.1MBps maximum. In the absence of the VPN the downloads to the NAS would typically be of the order of 20 to 30 MBps.

I struggled to understand why I was getting such a significant throttle but presumed the problem was primarily due to PureVPN or my ISP throttling ports 80 or 443. I had tried altering the ports, using both TPC and UDP, but to no avail. I therefore took on a 30 day trial with Perfect Privacy who appear to be viewed as the creme de la creme but I was stunned when using their apparent fastest servers I struggled to get even 2.0MBps.

WRT resources I can't say either the NAS nor the router appear to be overstressed when downloading via the Openvpn typically with only one core of the router cpu running at 60% and memory on the NAS at 50%. The NVRAM is high at about 4800 but I am not sure if this is significant.

This has caused me to think I am either doing something fundamentally wrong in setting up the router based OpenVPN or the router needs a total overhaul so to speak. Todate I have simply used the service providers ovpn files with little modification other than making a rule that only the NAS is served by the VPN. Is there any merit in editing the ovpn in anyway to effect an improvement in these pathetic download values - if so can any one suggest what modifications should be made.

Its some years since I originally set the router up but I don't recall doing a factory reset so its possible I am simply using some settings inherited from the previous commercial owner although I suspect they are probably already set to default values. Would there be merit in doing a full re-install - can't say the task appeals to me but other than a very extensive and effective ISP throttle I am stumped as to what is causing this problem.

I have been using an ASUS RT68U for several years having obtained it second hand. It came with Merlin firmware which following consideration I have retained and progressively updated to 380.63_2. I have a 100Mbps cable via VM and primarily use the system for downloading to a Synology NAS that feeds a Windows based KODI which I rarely use in streaming mode.

For the past two years I have been with PureVPN but I have terminated their service as the OpenVPN throughput via the router/NAS path was, in my inexperienced view, far too low at a constant 2.1MBps maximum. In the absence of the VPN the downloads to the NAS would typically be of the order of 20 to 30 MBps.

I struggled to understand why I was getting such a significant throttle but presumed the problem was primarily due to PureVPN or my ISP throttling ports 80 or 443. I had tried altering the ports, using both TPC and UDP, but to no avail. I therefore took on a 30 day trial with Perfect Privacy who appear to be viewed as the creme de la creme but I was stunned when using their apparent fastest servers I struggled to get even 2.0MBps.

WRT resources I can't say either the NAS nor the router appear to be overstressed when downloading via the Openvpn typically with only one core of the router cpu running at 60% and memory on the NAS at 50%. The NVRAM is high at about 4800 but I am not sure if this is significant.

This has caused me to think I am either doing something fundamentally wrong in setting up the router based OpenVPN or the router needs a total overhaul so to speak. Todate I have simply used the service providers ovpn files with little modification other than making a rule that only the NAS is served by the VPN. Is there any merit in editing the ovpn in anyway to effect an improvement in these pathetic download values - if so can any one suggest what modifications should be made.

Its some years since I originally set the router up but I don't recall doing a factory reset so its possible I am simply using some settings inherited from the previous commercial owner although I suspect they are probably already set to default values. Would there be merit in doing a full re-install - can't say the task appeals to me but other than a very extensive and effective ISP throttle I am stumped as to what is causing this problem.
The cpu's on the routers found in ASUS will never give you better speeds then what you are getting on VPN. They where never designed to do what we are trying to do with them. Basically in my opinion ASUS thought by adding VPN people would use it for browsing and basically hiding their identity. Everyone uses VPN to download torrents. If you need high speeds for VPN then take a look at CISCO routers they cost a fortune and you can get what you want out of them. But if you use any consumer router don't be upset if you never reach the ideals speeds you think you should be getting because they are not design high speed VPN downloads the ARM cpus are not like interl. Remember they are for consumers and most consumers play games or just browse. Maybe build yourself a router with a intel NUC box but good luck configuring that baby.

jak8 read the two links below
The first few pages of each are a guide to help you configure open vpn on your router.
I suggest you give PIA a try and drop your encryption to 128.
The guides are very well done and easy to follow...take your time reading.
I get great speeds on my AC 88U (74Mbps) and your router has the potential to perform better than mine.
Good Luck

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...with-asus-routers-380-68-updated-08-24.33638/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...a-and-other-vpn-providers-380-68-09-12.30851/

The cpu's on the routers found in ASUS will never give you better speeds then what you are getting on VPN. They where never designed to do what we are trying to do with them. Basically in my opinion ASUS thought by adding VPN people would use it for browsing and basically hiding their identity. Everyone uses VPN to download torrents. If you need high speeds for VPN then take a look at CISCO routers they cost a fortune and you can get what you want out of them. But if you use any consumer router don't be upset if you never reach the ideals speeds you think you should be getting because they are not design high speed VPN downloads the ARM cpus are not like interl. Remember they are for consumers and most consumers play games or just browse. Maybe build yourself a router with a intel NUC box but good luck configuring that baby.

Thanks yorgi for the response. I take your point abou the cpu but I was actually simply using the vpn to route usenet data to a LAN attached Synology NAS so the router was not handling any torrents although I understand it has that ao-called capability. I tend to agree that it may well be the cpu which is the throttle. I have since taken a contract out with Windscribe who are much cheaper than Perfect Privacy and mounted the VPN on the NAS through which I am regularly achieving 4MBps which is still not very much but double what I was achieving when mounted on the AC68u.

I am still intrigued by reports of people getting much higher through put on the AC68u and will read the guides further to see if my set up can be improved.