What's new

PC fans

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
Ok so I’m back…… seems like I’ve lost any knowledge I used to have!!!!!

So if you read my previous thread I’m looking at upgrading my pc fans. I have a ASUSmotherboard that has 4 pin headers but I have a controller that has 3 pins in a row. When I’m looking at fans they are 3 pins but with a gap. What should I go for? Was looking for cheapish fans maybe RGB but not the end of the world if not.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5311.png
    IMG_5311.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5312.png
    IMG_5312.png
    128 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5326.jpeg
    IMG_5326.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5327.jpeg
    IMG_5327.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 22

So if you read my previous thread I’m looking at upgrading my pc fans. I have a ASUSmotherboard that has 4 pin headers but I have a controller that has 3 pins in a row. When I’m looking at fans they are 3 pins but with a gap. What should I go for? Was looking for cheapish fans maybe RGB but not the end of the world if not.

Thanks.

Noctua has good fans.

This pic suggests a typical fan and MB header connection (3- and 4-conductor... the extra conductor allows PWM speed control; otherwise the fan runs at rated speed... not sure what your controller requires or does... could not easily read your pics... maybe it only requires the 3 conductors and handles the 4th/PWM on its own, if you use fans with PWM.

1699546474377.png

OE

Yeah I’m really not sure now. I watched a YouTube video that said if you use a 4 pin header it will blow the RGB. If I was to get RGB I was going to fill the case…… 7 fans needed and defo overkill for my useage. Might look at non RGB and just swap the 3 out. 😂😂 may be cheaper too.

Thanks.
Your previous locked post: That reddit user doesn't know. I'm pretty sure he didn't even have VIII HERO. 9900k works with modified CPU and modified BIOS.
But, why do you waste your money for old CPU like 9900k? You can buy nice CPU and MB with the money you said. Let the VIII HERO go.

Case Fans.
3 pins: DC. There are some brands which have LED with 3 pins. Fractal Design, Zalman, Cooler Master, Corsair and never heard Chinese brands. You need a controller.
4 pins: PWM.
Buy Fans and a controller. Corsair, Antec, Zalman something. If you really want to buy dirty cheap fans and controllers buy well known Chinese items.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply follower, i think im just trying to rekindle love for my old pc thats sitting doing not much. as technology has progressed I use it less and less........ I dont game on it as we have a ps5 and I never had a good enough graphics card (Gforce 770) and always said if I was to game I would upgrade it....... I used to use it as a Tvserver, Downloaded all my films and TV shows to it, automated downloads and sorting ect but now with debrid accounts and the such thats another use out the window. think its getting close to letting go of the ol' girl.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!