What's new

PC/Router hacked PLEASE HELP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

routerinfection

Regular Contributor
My pc and laptop are hacked along with my router, both have rootkits. Buying a new pc and router and configuring the router on a different network would be the only solution to this? I have very little knowledge with configuring a router would i be able to configure it myself? If anyone has additional information on how I could install these items without getting hacked again please reply any information is good information.

My pc and laptop are hacked along with my router, both have rootkits. Buying a new pc and router and configuring the router on a different network would be the only solution to this? I have very little knowledge with configuring a router would i be able to configure it myself? If anyone has additional information on how I could install these items without getting hacked again please reply any information is good information.
Would need a lot more information about your OS, machine type and router firmware version and type for anyone to provide detail specific you your environment. That said if you have a known good / clean backup format / reload the laptop and factory reset the router.

couple of articles I see on root kit identification and removal that may help short term.

Would need a lot more information about your OS, machine type and router firmware version and type for anyone to provide detail specific you your environment. That said if you have a known good / clean backup format / reload the laptop and factory reset the router.

couple of articles I see on root kit identification and removal that may help short term.

Thanks for replying, this isn't the average malware this is a extremely sophisticated rootkit that wont be removed from a simple factory reset along with the router as well. Do you have any other methods?

Create a clean OS bootable USB and scan / clean from that. Again no idea what other methods are available without knowing your router type, firmware version, Laptop type, firmware version, OS etc. Good Luck.

You haven't provided any of the information you were asked for in post #2.
sorry im not good with technology what is a os and when you say machine your referring to devices, firmware as in router? i have a pc and a dream machine pro i dont think i answered your question correctly sorry

not good with technology
If you're going to make claims of being hacked then you need to study up to make sure you're not just throwing time and money at the problem that may not exist.

What exactly is the issue here and how can you prove it?

We need info on the:
Router
PC
Dream Machine
Phone
etc.

This helps build a picture of how your network is setup and how to remedy potential issues.

If you're going to make claims of being hacked then you need to study up to make sure you're not just throwing time and money at the problem that may not exist.

We need info on the:
Router
PC
Dream Machine
Phone
etc.

This helps build a picture of how your network is setup and how to remedy potential issues.
My mouse was moving on its own, that could only happen if it was hacked. loads of other stuff happening youd have to be on my pc. accounts were also hacked
router is a dream machine Ubiquiti Networks UniFi Dream Machine 1733 Mbit/s White router is from spectrum so i guess theres two routers sorry im not familiar with these devices
pc gate core i5 windows 7
iphone 7 + but i dont think my phones hacked

Last edited:
@routerinfection

Sounds like you infected the PC with a download vs being hacked. W7 has been EOS / EOL for several years now and it's time for an update. Chances are if you're running W7 the highest your HW will support is W10.

Grab a USB drive and Rufus to make a bootable drive and run some scans on the PC

@routerinfection

Sounds like you infected the PC with a download vs being hacked. W7 has been EOS / EOL for several years now and it's time for an update. Chances are if you're running W7 the highest your HW will support is W10.

Grab a USB drive and Rufus to make a bootable drive and run some scans on the PC
ive scanned my pc with Malwarebytes and other up-to-date scans its not gonna detect anything again this is a complex rootkit i want to know the most thorough way to remove the rootkit and that is to buy a new pc and router and configure it on another safe network, would this stop the hacker?. i dont want to hear about scannning my pc its not gonna do anything im taking the most secure rout.

that is to buy a new pc and router and configure it on another safe network, would this stop the hacker?.
No need for all of that.

The scan using a USB boot drive is the last ditch effort before going nuclear and wiping the drive or replacing the drive.

I've encountered some nasty stuff over the years and none of which required any of what you're talking about doing. Just take a breath and listen to those you're asking assistance from since we typically only reply with valid options to what's being posed as the issue. If you want to go do your own thing and spend thousands on new HW then go for it.

Last edited:
No need for all of that.

The scan using a USB boot drive is the last ditch effort before going nuclear and wiping the drive or replacing the drive.

I've encountered some nasty stuff over the years and none of which required any of what you're talking about doing. Just take a breath and listen to those you're asking assistance from since we typically only reply with valid options to what's being posed as the issue. If you want to go do our own thing and spend thousands on new HW then go for it.
No need for all of that.

I've encountered some nasty stuff over the years and none of which required any of what you're talking about doing. Just take a breath and listen to those you're asking assistance from since we typically only reply with valid options to what's being posed as the issue. If you want to go do our own thing and spend thousands on new HW then go for it.
i had someone do that for me with the usb boot drive, the things you guys are recommending ive tried, i need someone to answer my statement regarding the configuring of a new router could i configure it myself or would i need to hire an expert vie been told by two different people that i could do it myself and also that i would need to hire an expert whats your take on this? please don't recommend other solutions then the one i stated.

i configure it myself or would i need to hire an expert
DIY is certainly cheaper than paying someone to do it.

It's not difficult to do if you can follow directions. I would probably start off w/ formatting / wiping the drive using some USB boot tools to ensure whatever is engaged in the FS isn't in use and can be purged completely through the process. Then from there reinstall the OS and go from there.

If there's a chance of needing to wipe it from the system itself and not only the drive then you'll want to remove all electrical power / battery / CMOS and discharge the system to purge it from any potential hiding spots on a chip.

If the router was hacked then you would see mystery traffic from all devices on the network not just the PC. When I've encountered issues that set off bank alerts that was my indicator that something i was installing on the laptop caused the issue of the trojan capturing info and tryin to use it. I knew immediately what caused it and formatted things and reinstalled the OS and went through all vital accounts and replaced the PW's to stop the alerts.

I don't bother keeping anything important locally and just store it on the network drives using something other than Windows that gets attacked all of the time by questionable software.

First the PC. You should be able to upgrade Windows 7 to WIndows 10. Best way is to make a DVD or bootable USB of the WIndows 10 install (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO). Boot to the DVD or USB and start an upgrade but wipe the hard drive of the PC. You will loose all your data and programs. Once the upgrade is finished make sure Windows 10 updates itself. Best to use the Windows Defender Antivirus included with WIndows. Stay away from Malwarebytes and like products. The waste your time and money.
If you saved a copy of your data copy it back to the PC at this time being aware of any virus warnings that pop up.

As for the router a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure should fix it. Pretty hard to infect the router.

First the PC. You should be able to upgrade Windows 7 to WIndows 10. Best way is to make a DVD or bootable USB of the WIndows 10 install (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO). Boot to the DVD or USB and start an upgrade but wipe the hard drive of the PC. You will loose all your data and programs. Once the upgrade is finished make sure Windows 10 updates itself. Best to use the Windows Defender Antivirus included with WIndows. Stay away from Malwarebytes and like products. The waste your time and money.
If you saved a copy of your data copy it back to the PC at this time being aware of any virus warnings that pop up.

As for the router a reset to factory defaults and reconfigure should fix it. Pretty hard to infect the router.
the motherboard or hard drive can be infected with a rootkit i factory reset it and it was still hacked is that what you mean by wipe? my router is infected and i was told to buy a new one if it is like infected as in the malware is embedded

Last edited:

Love it. First question in my mind is always "How do you know?" often followed by "why do you think that solution will solve the problem?" Been a driveway mechanic for 40 years and can't abide by throwing parts at a problem. If you're not sure what you're after, how will you recognize it...
Buying a new pc and router and configuring the router on a different network would be the only solution to this?
Some friendly advice: When things start going wrong, don’t forget to fly the plane. With that in mind, that solution will not solve the problem. The folks here are veteran troubleshooters and know what they're doing and by your own admission, you don't. Not a judgement, just an observation.

As I see it, if you're requesting an opinion on how easy it is to set up a new router and such, that's been addressed. If you're asking for help out of a jam, think of Jerry McGuire. Otherwise, it isn't fun for anyone.

Not sayin' I'm right, just sayin' how I see it.

Occam's Razor usually applies in these scenarios.

Personal story time: a long time ago, a customer called me for a service call. He claimed that text was entering itself in his Word document, so he probably had a virus, or had gotten hacked (his own self-diagnosis)

So after doing some investigation on site, I found out the problem.

1) Customer starts typing text in Word.
2) His phone rings. he picks up the phone, and starts talking.
3) He had voice typing enabled in Word
4) Word would pick up random words from his conversation, and enter them within his document. Since he wasn't close enough to his laptop's mic, it only picked random works now and then, and often not the correct word either

So no, it wasn't a virus nor a hacker.

In this case, if you have random mouse movements, then it's not a rootkit. It's either a wireless mouse encountering interference, a laptop's touchpad getting random input (through accident or electrical fault), or you have a remote control application such as AnyDesk installed, and someone is connected through it. Just go through the list of installed applications.

Love it. First question in my mind is always "How do you know?" often followed by "why do you think that solution will solve the problem?" Been a driveway mechanic for 40 years and can't abide by throwing parts at a problem. If you're not sure what you're after, how will you recognize it...

Some friendly advice: When things start going wrong, don’t forget to fly the plane. With that in mind, that solution will not solve the problem. The folks here are veteran troubleshooters and know what they're doing and by your own admission, you don't. Not a judgement, just an observation.

As I see it, if you're requesting an opinion on how easy it is to set up a new router and such, that's been addressed. If you're asking for help out of a jam, think of Jerry McGuire. Otherwise, it isn't fun for anyone.

Not sayin' I'm right, just sayin' how I see it.
how would it not solve the problem thats the most extreme method of removing malware?

3) He had voice typing enabled in Word
Had an almost identical story. The "culprit" was an unshielded microphone cable picking up a local radio station combined with voice-to-text recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!