What's new

PC/Router hacked PLEASE HELP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
im gonna buy new devices instead that's not gonna work, should I configure my firewall on a different network instead of mine i was told that would be highly recommended
If you don't figure out, or pay someone to figure out, what ACTUALLY happened (assuming you were actually hacked) then simply buying new hardware leaves you open to being hacked again a week after you get all your new stuff. For example, if you were hacked through a web site you visit regularly, then as soon as you do that with your new system, it will be vulnerable again.
"New" does not equal automatically "secure"

If you have specific questions, then people here can point you to step by step guides or even videos, that tell you exactly what software to use, the steps involved etc. For example, you sort of know the high level steps so just ask "how do I fully reset my router?" And someone will point you to the posts about the M&M reset. Post a question about "how do I fully reset my hard drive?" And someone will show you how to delete the partitions and reformat it.

99.9% of the time any hard drive, router, tablet, phone or similar product that has a way to load firmware or operating system, can be fully "cleaned" and safely reused. The issue, in general, is being able to save the data that in most cases people don't have a backup for.

ill take that as a yes, i was told to configure the new firewall somewhere else could i do it at home or would someone's elses network be better to configure it on?
This is a prime example of why you need to figure out how (or if) you were "attacked". Until *you* determine this, then nobody here can read their crystal ball and give you a yes or no answer. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

It would be EXTREMELY rare for any hack to affect more than one type of device. For example, a router hack typically would just affect your router perhaps using your network in a bot network or expose your user credentials. An operating system vulnerability would potentially allow someone to access your system, and similar systems, to do various things.

I am not aware of any attack (except corporate attacks by experts) where a router, windows PC, a Linux PC, A printer, Nas, ...) were all compromised. Hackers sweep the internet looking for simple things like exposed PCs with open ports, old unpatched systems etc. They look for easy targets, unless they are after specific things like government sites, corporate sites, etc.

Last edited:
should I configure my firewall on a different network instead of mine i was told that would be highly recommended
No, pointless.
Please expand on what you mean by firewall? If you mean the setting in your router, that typically is already set to deny most access from the "outside", then this can be easily and safely done by connecting any "clean" device (PC, tablet, phone, etc) to the router (wired or WiFi) and performing the configuration. But, as soon as you connect any other device that has not been cleaned, or at least scanned, since you haven't determined the source of the infection.

Knowing the brand, model and firmware version of all your devices will be critical in sorting out your potential situation.

No, pointless.
Please expand on what you mean by firewall? If you mean the setting in your router, that typically is already set to deny most access from the "outside", then this can be easily and safely done by connecting any "clean" device (PC, tablet, phone, etc) to the router (wired or WiFi) and performing the configuration. But, as soon as you connect any other device that has not been cleaned, or at least scanned, since you haven't determined the source of the infection.

Knowing the brand, model and firmware version of all your devices will be critical in sorting out your potential situation.
i came across a similar topic like mine where someone had been hacked and a person replied saying they would highly recommend configuring the new router or firewall on someone else wifi/network before they connect it to their router so i wanted to get some feedback. so you dont think its necessary to do that? ill try and find the topic but it was something with the firewall i recall

It all depends.

If you have a clean PC, tablet, or whatever to perform the configuration, and that is the only device you connect to your router, isolating all your other devices (direct wired connection or only device on a new SSID) then it is better than connecting using someone else's unknown network.

BUT, as soon as you plug it into your LAN, then you are exposing it to whatever potentially happen the first time.

So, in all cases, you need to identify the ACTUAL problem before ANY real advice can be given.

[sarcasm on] or just send all your stuff to Tech Junky and he and I will keep it after cleaning it [sarcasm off]

It all depends.

If you have a clean PC, tablet, or whatever to perform the configuration, and that is the only device you connect to your router, isolating all your other devices (direct wired connection or only device on a new SSID) then it is better than connecting using someone else's unknown network.

BUT, as soon as you plug it into your LAN, then you are exposing it to whatever potentially happen the first time.

So, in all cases, you need to identify the ACTUAL problem before ANY real advice can be given.

[sarcasm on] or just send all your stuff to Tech Junky and he and I will keep it after cleaning it [sarcasm off]
the only thing im gonna connect my new router to is a new pc so therefore its not possible for it to be infected again because i wont re connect any old items that might have malware, you can confirm thats a bullet proof solution to this problem that and avoiding sketchy links and websites? what are you saying when i plug it into my LAN

I don't care if I get banned, I am calling out the OP. Your insolence is so out of line and it is being tolerated by well meaning folks trying to look past it. And you don't even know. You are oblivious to the notion that this entire thread has nothing to do with solving a hack. You are rude and dismissive to people - you don't have to like anyone, but decency and respectful discourse is required.

You there is no doubt you are out of your depth, demanding help, yet are unwilling to solve anything. Shame on you.

Listen up pal... you aren't in a buddy's basement with your friends... you're in a library, you don't behave like that. A 10 year old wouldn't behave that way. I don't think it's possible, but smarten up. Behave, ask nicely, don't argue.

Last edited:
the only thing im gonna connect my new router to is a new pc so therefore its not possible for it to be infected again because i wont re connect any old items that might have malware, you can confirm thats a bullet proof solution to this problem that and avoiding sketchy links and websites? what are you saying when i plug it into my LAN
No, I cannot confirm or guarantee what you stated. Since you don't know if, how or any detail of the supposed attack, it could very well be that with all new equipment the same thing will happen within 5 minutes of turning it on. As I've said, it could be something as simple as a default setting in your router that needs to change (remote admin access for example) or a million other things.

Again, to be clear, you must (if you want help) provide (at a minimum):
- some evidence of the attack, or at least something more than "a rootkit on my router, PC and printer"
- only then can it (hopefully) be determined how the attack infiltrated the primary device (example a known vulnerability in a router with old firmware and if it is even remotely possible that it would spread to other devices

Again, buying all new hardware also wouldn't help you if the first thing you do is go to some sketchy site to download your favourite game, utility, browser addon or what, thinking it is safe when it isn't this introducing the malware into your inner lan. No firewall or configuration change or new hardware will stop that sort of thing. What if it is simply malware that has taken over one of your data files, or in your cloud? I'm not sure how much more strongly I can emphasize the need to find out at least what, if any, malware affected you

What seems like 100 posts in, there is still no evidence (logs?) of an actual attack, or the details of how it manifested, or how rootkits were exposed, or their names or frankly anything useful to help you.

Based on this, I would ALMOST GUARANTEE THAT IF YOU BOUGHT ALL NEW HARDWARE, YOU WOULD LIKELY BE ATTACKED (if there was an attack) again in short order.

But, all we can do if offer our advice. If you decide to spend a bunch of money (unnecessarily IMO) that is of course your option to choose.

I don't care if I get banned, I am calling out the OP. Your insolence is so out of line and it is being tolerated by well meaning folks trying to look past it. And you don't even know. You are oblivious to the notion that this entire thread has nothing to do with solving a hack. You are rude and dismissive to people - you don't have to like anyone, but decency and respectful discourse is required.

You there is no doubt you are out of your depth, demanding help, yet are unwilling to solve anything. Shame on you.

Listen up pal... you aren't in a buddy's basement with your friends... you're in a library, you don't behave like that. A 10 year old wouldn't behave that way. I don't think it's possible, but smarten up. Behave, ask nicely, don't argue.
Who hurt you lol stop commenting please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!