What's new

+PC to Server backup not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reinstalling windows is not a bad shout as the networking should work out of the box as it were. You could also have a look at the cabling, although you say it used to work fine, it is unlikely to be cabling unless they have got damaged some how.

No the cabling fine I'm running it now but it's going to take days to complete from my pc so another story from my wifes pc, this is taking up so much of my time it's a pain in the ars-.

No the cabling fine I'm running it now but it's going to take days to complete from my pc so another story from my wifes pc, this is taking up so much of my time it's a pain in the ars-.
Yes it should not be so difficult, Do you know what transfer rate you are getting? I get about 30 MB/s both up and down to my attached USB drives. Did the backup4all people come back with anything useful?

Hi BreakingDad well I installed the trial version of pingploter and the packets failed between my wifes pc and my pc and the mediaserver pc which is all static ip vis a switch to the router, also my pc failed and the packets failed between my pc and the mediaserver which are also static ip's via the router also the mediaserver failed sending packets to my pc which has a static ip via the router so I've taken the ball by the horns and did a hard reset on the ax88u router and done some of the cofig with the settings enough to test the pingplotter again and they all test ok now but the backup4all is still slow so is it this software for some reason or can I do some settings in the win 10 pc's to improve the transfer speeds first. The software people come back asking for the log file but I forgot to increase it's size to include more info before I ran the software so got to change a couple of settings before I run it again.

Hi BreakingDad well I installed the trial version of pingploter and the packets failed between my wifes pc and my pc and the mediaserver pc which is all static ip vis a switch to the router, also my pc failed and the packets failed between my pc and the mediaserver which are also static ip's via the router also the mediaserver failed sending packets to my pc which has a static ip via the router so I've taken the ball by the horns and did a hard reset on the ax88u router and done some of the cofig with the settings enough to test the pingplotter again and they all test ok now but the backup4all is still slow so is it this software for some reason or can I do some settings in the win 10 pc's to improve the transfer speeds first. The software people come back asking for the log file but I forgot to increase it's size to include more info before I ran the software so got to change a couple of settings before I run it again.
Thanks for the update.

Well everyone excuse the pun, good news the really slow backup is fixed, I re-installed win 10 on my pc and the file server. Seeing as there still was not possible to write to the virtual drive I included as principle 'everyone' on the advanced drive permissions windows with system, administrators and users although I still had no access to the server drives, I then had to go to the advanced sharing tab on the individual drives and and give full control to 'everyone' and it now works great, Everyone permission had to be activated on both the security tab and the sharing tab for it to work. Thank you for your advice with this it's really appreciated.

Use robocopy in Windows with /mir option to mirror a drive that way it will only copy the deltas.