What's new

PCI Network Adapter vs. USB for a Desktop PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
A not-so-recent FAQ on the D-Link website has this to say on whether it is preferable to use a PCI network adapter on a desktop computer vs. a USB adapter:

"Any device connected to your computer´s PCI slot will operate faster than an equivalent device connected by USB. The PCI interface is much faster than even high speed USB 2.0. For the best speed, you will want PCI adapters whenever possible."

Is this still true and will it continue to be true in the reasonably near future?

I prefer a good internal NIC like an Intel....(also 3COM in the past)

And USB is generally more software driven and eats more CPU cycles.

But you know what? Several years ago back in our old office...we had a few workstations on the repair bench...pretty much identical Compaq Deskpros. I was curious, we had a spare little USB NIC from Linksys or Netgear..against the other machine using its onboard Intel. I ran several downloads from fast sites...like Microsoft and Symantec that would allow us to max at our connection. We were on an 8 meg connection in that office. You know what? That little USB NIC went toe to toe with the Intel in looking at download rates.

So, if you're only worried about internet speeds...they won't let you down much....as the PCI bus 'n USB bus are all well above the transfer speeds coming down your internet pipe.

For a good gaming computer, or office workstations doing larger LAN transfers...without question I'd make sure I have an internal one.

Thank you...I neglected to mention that my question did not refer to internet speed. I am more interested in throughput within the LAN.

I'm not a VoIPer or a gamer, however, I eventually plan to send multi-gigabyte volume backups to NAS. Looks like an internal wireless NIC is still best for that application. Thanks for your help. :D

I eventually plan to send multi-gigabyte volume backups to NAS. Looks like an internal wireless NIC is still best for that application. Thanks for your help. :D

I would agree..especially for large files on local transfers.

For very high loads...I don't like USB. One of the reasons I don't use them for clients servers backups...like an external USB device. They bonk out too often under heavy loads.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!