What's new

Performance Issue with 1 Gigabit an Router RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK folks, here is the last thing that you can check and was not described here.

Bash:
# nvram show | grep stp
size: 56434 bytes (9102 left)
lan_stp=1
lan1_stp=1

You'll see two variables related to Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) set to 1.
Some guys said HERE that changing the option Spanning-Tree Protocol to "Disable" on the LAN - Switch Control tab will set lan_stp=0 and the other variable is some kind of a left-over not used by the firmware. Well... on my stock firmware 3.0.0.4.385_20632 there is no such option. But there is a way to change it via terminal:

Bash:
# nvram set lan_stp=0
# nvram commit
# nvram show | grep stp
size: 20283 bytes (41157 left)
lan_stp=0
lan1_stp=1

I am not sure if the router restart is needed but I did it. Anyway, it changed... nothing. My max transfer was still caped to ~150mbps. So as a last resort I changed also the second variable to 0 and... TADAM! I got max speed provided by my ISP which is 300mbps. I hope this post would be helpful ;)

Hi together,

I wanted to ask you if you can help me with a performance problem with an Asus RT-AC68U router.

In concrete terms, I switched to a new subscription model because my provider offers considerably higher speeds for a very low surcharge.
Any chance you're running any custom scripts or the AMTM script menu? I find that while running Skynet on AX88U, throughput on my 1g service drops to ~600mb. If I disable Skynet it goes to 950mb. It's not the firmware or the router is bad, its the nature of the CPU having processing capacity to perform screening. I've used AC68U for a long time and they're very capable, just not able to keep up with higher bandwidth and script processing of the traffic at the same time.

OK folks, here is the last thing that you can check and was not described here.

Bash:
# nvram show | grep stp
size: 56434 bytes (9102 left)
lan_stp=1
lan1_stp=1
Just took a look at this. My GUI settings are STP off, have been forever. Code above indicated lan_stp=0 and lan1_stp=1. Set them both to =0, will test. Thank you for this hint.