What's new

Pfsense wins awards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It's a little disturbing that they give themselves awards a year in advance.

The few times I've tried this software has always been disappointing, in my networks.

And the latest kerfuffle isn't confidence inspiring to try this software ever again.

Glad it works due those that use it. 🤷‍♂️

It's a little disturbing that they give themselves awards a year in advance.

The few times I've tried this software has always been disappointing, in my networks.

And the latest kerfuffle isn't confidence inspiring to try this software ever again.

Glad it works due those that use it. 🤷‍♂️
It is definitely more complex than a simple ASUS router so I can see it giving you trouble.

I didn't try to do 'complex' with it. It failed to stay performant at its defaults (WAN speeds would tank after a few days). I've described this already on these forums.

I didn't try to do 'complex' with it. It failed to stay performant at its defaults (WAN speeds would tank after a few days). I've described this already on these forums.
It was probably because you did not have your default gateway setup correctly. I have seen that when I first setup my pfsense but of course I fixed it. It comes back to being more complex than a basic ASUS router where they are not flexible enough on configurations. More than likely your configuration was incomplete.

Pretty sure I had everything set up correctly (for the bare basics I was testing for).

How would that setting affect things only after a few days though?

Either it works, or it doesn't. I would assume.

It was probably because you did not have your default gateway setup correctly. I have seen that when I first setup my pfsense but of course I fixed it. It comes back to being more complex than a basic ASUS router where they are not flexible enough on configurations. More than likely your configuration was incomplete.
he attempted to run pfsense on a consumer potato-pc which was not hardware BSD compliant... that was the issue...

No, that was not the issue, either.

Well, i have installed pfSense on different types of hardware (older and newer) and never really had any problems in the initial set up to get it up and running but i still do not dare to call myself an "advanced user". I can imagine if something goes south from the beginning, it is always hard to change opinions afterwards. I had that with the Ubiquiti ERL-3. Too much hassle to get the basics set up, the combination of GUI and CLI to access all functionality and so on. I ditched it even after a couple of month for a Mikrotik that was way easier to manage.

But you have to admit that Pfsense pretty much comes up running for a basic configuration. Then you have a GUI to adjust it. I don't know how you could miss with it running.

Yes, choosing bad hardware could be a problem but Pfsense publishes what hardware works. And if you don't follow, it is your own fault. It is pretty easy in my way of thinking.

That's exactly the point. Using recommended (and higher) hardware. The last test was plain Jane defaults. Worked for a few days, then gradually slowed down.

I don't need to be an advanced user to test something 'at defaults'. And see it doesn't work. And I have never stated I was.

I assume if you are giving lots of support on this forum then you are considered an advanced user. But if you can't fix or figure out a solution for a basic Pfsense setup I wonder.

Yes, I offer my help where I feel I have something valuable to add for beginners with Asus routers.

I can't fix or figure out a solution when the bare basics don't work on the software I wanted to rely on with running my network though.

If the basics don't work, what fix or solution would you pursue?

I can't tell you as I just get a gut feeling and a lot times it is right but not always. But over time I figure it out or what it is related to. I understand networking.

I guess Pfsense is too advanced for you. You better stay with Asus. Probably best not to post on stuff you don't understand. I did not read your post but I would have thought you had a better understanding of how to setup a router.

@coxhaus, you're missing the point. And, which post didn't you read to which you feel you can still reply/comment on?

I know how to set up a router. I've set up many in the last two decades. That's what I'm able to help a lot of people with, and have.

That doesn't mean that at the time I tried/tested pfSense it was working as expected. Nobody offered anything helpful at that time to 'fix' or solve that issue.

I put that down to pfSense being offered 'as-is' (unless you bought their overpriced and underpowered hardware) and at that, it failed miserably.

Are you part of pfSense? I don't understand why you're defending them so vigorously.

On better-than-supported hardware, at defaults, over multiple tests over multiple weeks (yes, I'm patient when I'm testing things), on a Fibre 1Gbps up/down connection, it couldn't surpass the Asus router I was using at that time. That is a failure to me. And not on my end.

Your gut feeling is wrong here. I've stated why many times (and summarized everything in this post for you), but you keep assuming wrongly, based on other than the facts presented.

To bring this back to this thread, my post (2) is merely pointing out that awarding yourself, in the future, for a job well done, is hardly something to pat yourself on the back for.

Particularly when the software is not stable in the least, and they also pull/change the terms of use right under customers' feet without a way to elegantly move forward (without paying).

To bring this back to this thread, my post (2) is merely pointing out that awarding yourself, in the future, for a job well done, is hardly something to pat yourself on the back for.
They didn't award themselves anything, G2 did.

Also, it isn't really in the future. As "Winter" spans 2023/2024 they're just referring (confusingly) to the year at the end of the season rather than the start.

With all that said, this does look like just another marketing company trying to justify its existence by creating hundreds of awards. A bit like those children's school events where everyone wins a prize of some sort.

I find it hard to believe Netgate/pfSense isn't part of G2 (somehow).

But whatever.

I used m0n0wall since 2004 wen m0n0wall stopped ~2015 I started using pfSense (wich is a fork of m0n0wall) and am still using pfSense today.
My experience with pfSense is that if i used non Intel network Interfaces i got all kinds of stability problems.
With Intel interfaces you can use pfSense on hardware with low resources without any problems.

I have cable internet from the same provider since 1999 so i have no experience with FTTH myself.
What i read about symmetric fiber connections and pfSense is that pppoe seems to be a single threathed service.
Some report problems with up/dl speeds whit that.

Last edited: