What's new

Pfsense with newer CPUs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was just asking really. I am happy with my old i3-6100T which I think is more powerful than an atom.
If for some reason, If I pick up lag running SNORT then I will want to move up.

My granddaughter needs to be able to game on her computer at my house when she comes over. I don't want any lag in my network running SNORT.

And 35 watts is the max for my CPU. It is only running 2 or 3% so I would think around 10 watts. I need a watt meter.
some latency issues have been reported for the 12th and 13th gen chips running win 11. May only be a MS issue rather than the Intel chipset drivers

some latency issues have been reported for the 12th and 13th gen chips running win 11. May only be a MS issue rather than the Intel chipset drivers
I may be better off staying with an older generation CPU. I kind of read the same thing. I am not sure though. I am in no hurry to buy anything right now.

Could be scheduler issues with the newer chips - upstream usually needs a bit of time to make changes if needed - these newer Intel chips, esp those that are hybrid Efficiency/Performance cores, likely still work in progress there.

As @coxhaus mentions - 10th gen and earlier should be fine...