What's new

Pi-Hole and running Unbound

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New2This

Just wondering if anyone is running a pihole on a raspberry pi and with Unbound on there router?
Thinking of doing it as I have couple raspberry pi 4 around

I did for a couple weeks. I stopped for the non-technical reason that it was flooding my QoS Classification page with DNS connections and I didn’t care to look at those all the time. But it works well, technically. :)

1228D21F-A641-48C1-B4B7-F0B47D362197.jpeg

Thanks for the input, just setting it all up now, going to try it out, this one here I’m using it for my desktop. It’s the 8GB pi4

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone is running a pihole on a raspberry pi and with Unbound on there router?
I am running it and it works great except that for some reason my devices are mostly using ipv6 to hit the pi hole so the client list is messy

Running a Pi 3B+ with Pi-Hole + Stubby DoT for add blocking. Also running Zoneminder on the same Pi for a couple of IP cams. Save my Pi 4 8GB for fun projects.
BTW there is a 64 bit version of Raspberry OS that works well. Still in beta but I do not have issues with it.

Running a Pi 3B+ with Pi-Hole + Stubby DoT for add blocking. Also running Zoneminder on the same Pi for a couple of IP cams. Save my Pi 4 8GB for fun projects.
BTW there is a 64 bit version of Raspberry OS that works well. Still in beta but I do not have issues with it.
Thanks for the update on the 64 bit. Just have been running twister OS

You can run unbound on your Pi too. I've been doing that config with my Pi's for quite some time. No issues. Pi-hole and PiVPN along side. Set up Pi-hole on both and run 2 DNS services.

Thanks for the update on the 64 bit. Just have been running twister OS
TwisterOS, while really flexible, is still 32 bit. The 64 bit can be turned on but the rest of the apps/programs will still be 32 bit.
Run the lite version of Raspberry OS 64 or Ubuntu server 64 bit on a Pi-4

TwisterOS, while really flexible, is still 32 bit. The 64 bit can be turned on but the rest of the apps/programs will still be 32 bit.
Run the lite version of Raspberry OS 64 or Ubuntu server 64 bit on a Pi-4
While 64bit is nice, it can also be reasouce hog with some programs. If the rpi is mainly only for pihole and or unbound I would not see a need for it to run as a 64 bit. Simple 32 bit would suffice.

I know you asked about running a pi but I use an alternative. I run Pi-Hole and Unbound on a few old hacked Pogoplug Pro's that are running Debian (if anybody remembers Pogoplug). Fun little devices that open up a world of useful options and they also helped me become proficient in Linux. I even use one for Time Machine backups, which worked much better than the Asus router option. I think I have 5 of them and they were all $15 or less. Quite the bargain.

As we are all flexing our Pi's
IMG_20200712_134706520.jpg

Please note this now sits on a VHS, yes VHS video recorder underneath our TV. My wife won't allow me to get rid of the VHS as she thinks she might watch the Muppets Christmas or The Mission Live Somewhere again one day.

HA! Nice flex. I'll play...

Here's an old pic of my modest dual PI-hole setup. Have since added a 3rd to the mix for fun.

ubw8tNR.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!