What's new

Pi-Hole or DSN selection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevenm

Occasional Visitor
What would prevent more advertisements from going through, adguard / pi hole, or just changing the DSN on the router? Would this apply to trackers too?

Anything that points a fqdn to 127.0.0.1

You just have to have a list of addresses to point to that.

Some DNS servers do that for you to an extent but running your own can help even further. I run pihole and keep adding to it even with lists that have 8M entries. There's always some dumb annoying thing being out on the net every second.

What would prevent more advertisements from going through, adguard / pi hole, or just changing the DSN on the router? Would this apply to trackers too?
My recommendation is to try it and see.

Pihole and AdguardHome, running the same lists, should give you the same filtering.

I don't have a Adguard / Pi Hole setup just yet. Wondering if it would be more effective than a DNS change.

All DNS-based adblocking solutions with produce similar results, local Pi-hole type or external DNS server like AdGuard. You can't block YouTube ads and you get broken Web pages with blank fields. The best and most effective adblocking solution is browser based uBlock Origin extension.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!