What's new

Pi5 The everything computer. Optimised

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Anyone else excitied for this?

I already run a nice little MC server on a pi4, I'm hoping the new one will be able to handle more slots. 2.5x faster and a pcie port.

• Broadcom BCM2712 2.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Arm Cortex-A76 CPU, with cryptography extensions, 512KB per-core L2 caches and a 2MB shared L3 cache
  • VideoCore VII GPU, supporting OpenGL ES 3.1, Vulkan 1.2
  • Dual 4Kp60 HDMI® display output with HDR support
  • 4Kp60 HEVC decoder
  • LPDDR4X-4267 SDRAM (4GB and 8GB SKUs available at launch)
  • Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi®
  • Bluetooth 5.0 / Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)
  • microSD card slot, with support for high-speed SDR104 mode
  • 2 × USB 3.0 ports, supporting simultaneous 5Gbps operation
  • 2 × USB 2.0 ports
  • Gigabit Ethernet, with PoE+ support (requires separate PoE+ HAT)
  • 2 × 4-lane MIPI camera/display transceivers
  • PCIe 2.0 x1 interface for fast peripherals (requires separate M.2 HAT or other adapter)
  • 5V/5A DC power via USB-C, with Power Delivery support
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40-pin header
  • Real-time clock (RTC), powered from external battery
  • Power button
I wish they had added another network port though for router and firewall tinkering ease.

Any thoughts?

My RK3588 based Friendly Elec NanoPC-T6 has already replaced my always-on Raspberry Pi 4B. The RK3588 was supposed to replace my GoogleTV while being fast enough to enable streaming cloud based gaming, but it's Android TV image is "broken" beyond repair. But the RK3588 is powerful enough to run Ubuntu with Pi-Hole, Resilio-Sync, Jellyfin, and still have enough left over for cloud gaming! I suspect the Raspberry Pi 5 might be powerful enough to achieve what I'd wanted.
FYI looking at the "Explaining Computers" video on the Raspberry Pi 5 it still has substantially slower disk access compared to it's competitors.

Too bad the RPi 4 boards were extinct or immediately sold-out for so long.
A month ago I started getting email alerts stating RPi 4 8GB boards were available $75. Then, I googled "RPi 5" and read the Oct 2023 release of The Stronger Faster More Powerful RPi 5.
10gb integrated box Saw this in another thread, yes it cost more, yet even more useful than the Pi 5 IMHO

Last edited:
Can you do stuff on a limited (resource) budget? Yes. Should you? For me, no, waste of time to find it being too slow, too underpowered, and always too limiting in one way or another in the end.

Are they a marvel for their size/power budget? Sure. But not extraordinarily so.

Old PCs are a dime a dozen. A much better prospect for an additional, networking-focused, device.

It's horses for courses! If I have the right project I'll get a secondhand PC, but for something that's going to sit in the living room, make no noise, and sip power, then it'll be an SBC.
FYI: I wouldn't recommend the NanoPC-T6, it's been a steep learning curve filling in the holes in its OS image

It's interesting - couple of things to note...

1) SoC - It likely needs an active cooling solution for best performance - says as much as review devices were sent out with them...
2) SW Support - Their RPI southbridge - for now, it's Raspbian - hope you like that...
3) Supply Chain - yes they have said priority is for the end-users, but to be honest, the sock-suckers also promised this for RPi-4, and then it was the resellers forcing people into bundles well outside of the cost of the board itself...

It's horses for courses! If I have the right project I'll get a secondhand PC, but for something that's going to sit in the living room, make no noise, and sip power, then it'll be an SBC.
FYI: I wouldn't recommend the NanoPC-T6, it's been a steep learning curve filling in the holes in its OS image
Exactly.
IMG_20200712_134706520.jpg

3 "Computers" on a board that sits, silently, on the wife's VHS VCR under the tv, yes you read that right, I am not allowed to get rid of it, apparently we still have some tapes that can't be replaced digitally.

Plus it was so much fun setting up all the pi's and controlling them remotely. I still check on them most days, ticking along doing their thing.

Oh and FWIW the Pi is British, well Welsh to be precise.

Last edited:
In a month or two, if there's a stable/usable AndroidTV image and a passive cooler case, I may well get one to replace the Google TV. FYI the NanoPC RK3588 is passively cooled, thanks to it's (nice looking) 1/2Kg (I just put it on the mail scale) aluminium case!!!

In a month or two, if there's a stable/usable AndroidTV image and a passive cooler case, I may well get one to replace the Google TV.

I think the challenge there for Pi5 and Android is the video drivers and the DRM support for things like Widevine...

Chromecast w/GoogleTV or it's clone the onn4k - they're cheap enough (onn4k is 20USD), they use very little power, and they do one trick, but do it really, really well...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!