What's new

PIA slows down with Modem and speed upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokin_Joe

Regular Contributor
Hopefully I can get my VPN speed back up..
I used the guide that yorgi created to configure my RT-AC88U.
I had slow speeds with Ip Vanish struggling to get 30 MBs...below 10 most of the time.
Configured a vpn client on PIA and hit 60 MBs...ping's decreased to 10-12ms from 75 and above on ipvanish.
Cancelled Ip Vanish..
Contacted Isp to up my service to 150 from 60.
New modem required, new modem bought and delivered.
Without vpn active I have 178MBs and 8ms ping
Now my PIA vpn is 40 MBs..
Cancelling upgrade service back to 75(they don't offer 60 anymore)
Hopefully I can get my VPN speed back up to 60MBs with old modem..
No idea why the vpn speed would go down.
I did test the ipvanish vpn on the new 150 service and it was 20MBs with 80ms ping

Hopefully I can get my VPN speed back up..
I used the guide that yorgi created to configure my RT-AC88U.
I had slow speeds with Ip Vanish struggling to get 30 MBs...below 10 most of the time.
Configured a vpn client on PIA and hit 60 MBs...ping's decreased to 10-12ms from 75 and above on ipvanish.
Cancelled Ip Vanish..
Contacted Isp to up my service to 150 from 60.
New modem required, new modem bought and delivered.
Without vpn active I have 178MBs and 8ms ping
Now my PIA vpn is 40 MBs..
Cancelling upgrade service back to 75(they don't offer 60 anymore)
Hopefully I can get my VPN speed back up to 60MBs with old modem..
No idea why the vpn speed would go down.
I did test the ipvanish vpn on the new 150 service and it was 20MBs with 80ms ping
People who use VPN are mostly downloading large files. These servers are getting bombarded with traffic. I don't doubt that in the future VPN will be a thing of the past.

I had a similar result when I doubled my ISP speed my VPN connection became slower. Spent days trying to get more speed instead of less.

My conclusion was that at higher speeds the router could not keep up with the need for faster encryption.

Finally installed a device running OpenWRT on an I7 processor with AES-NI. Now regularly get download speeds of 145-165 Mbps running the VPN vs 170-180 Mbps on a straight ISP WAN connection.

If you want higher speeds look at the ASUS AC86U as an upgrade. The processor in that router supports AES-NI. Others on this site have reported that they can get download speeds of 200 Mbps using PIA.

I had a similar result when I doubled my ISP speed my VPN connection became slower. Spent days trying to get more speed instead of less.

My conclusion was that at higher speeds the router could not keep up with the need for faster encryption.

Finally installed a device running OpenWRT on an I7 processor with AES-NI. Now regularly get download speeds of 145-165 Mbps running the VPN vs 170-180 Mbps on a straight ISP WAN connection.

If you want higher speeds look at the ASUS AC86U as an upgrade. The processor in that router supports AES-NI. Others on this site have reported that they can get download speeds of 200 Mbps using PIA.
My speeds through PIA have returned (actually increased) YEAH!
My old modem allows for faster tunneling with a vpn. I now get 74.17 Mbps Down and 7.56 Mbps Up 15 ms Ping.
Vpn off yields....83.67 Mbps Down and 8.07 Mbps Up 12 ms Ping.
The service has been turned down to 60 Mbps, according to my invoice...but it is much better than that.
I think my RT-AC88U is fine and it was the modem that was the problem.

People who use VPN are mostly downloading large files. These servers are getting bombarded with traffic. I don't doubt that in the future VPN will be a thing of the past.
My home network is completely behind the vpn, all traffic.
Why do you think that VPN's will be a thing of the past yorgi?
IMO, with the way that they want to regulate the internet content, VPN's will become more in demand.

The service has been turned down to 60 Mbps, according to my invoice.

Your ISP is probably pushing you slightly more than 60Mbps to keep you from complaining about not getting what you pay for. My ISP (Spectrum) does that, I pay for their highest speed (now 100 Mbps, was 60 Mbps) and I can get 111Mbps WITH a VPN turned on.

Your ISP is probably pushing you slightly more than 60Mbps to keep you from complaining about not getting what you pay for. My ISP (Spectrum) does that, I pay for their highest speed (now 100 Mbps, was 60 Mbps) and I can get 111Mbps WITH a VPN turned on.
I agree...to a point.
I buy from a reseller and use the cable lines for service. The reseller doesn't offer the 60 Mbps service anymore (grandfathered) and the cable company won't allow me to use my modem on a 75 Mbps...it is complicated...
I think the cable company has set me up on a 75 service(which is supposed to be cheaper than what I am paying for with the old 60 service) but the reseller won't charge me the cheaper rate for the higher speed...not complaining because everything is working better than it should..
I am happy to use my old equipment that does the job on a speed that it isn't supposed to run on...The cable company has to allow resellers to use their lines but they like to put demands on the customers of the resellers basically on a whim...
The cable company used to provide my tv service and the reseller sold me unlimited data, the cable company never offered unlimited till recently.
The cable company kept messing with my cable tv and tried to blame everyone else.
I completely cut the tv cable 6 months ago...
No complaints...lol
Let Kodi and Terrarium Tv be your friend

Last edited:
I had issues with PIA speed. Of course it was the upload speed not download but I contacted PIA support and they gave me a new custom configuration to try. Before I changed the settings I was getting 1mbps instead of 10mpbs upload. Check it out in this post:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...eds-but-only-over-wireless.42062/#post-373853

I would try it and see if it helps. You should be able to replace your current PIA custom configuration with this. (Note the Custom Configuration is a field at the bottom of the OpenVPN Client settings where you can add extra commands.) I also use TorGuard and found these settings ADDED to the ones TorGuard gave me worked well.

My home network is completely behind the vpn, all traffic.
Why do you think that VPN's will be a thing of the past yorgi?
IMO, with the way that they want to regulate the internet content, VPN's will become more in demand.
I think VPN will be a thing of the past because already its not that secure. Something better will come around, its always been like that :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!