What's new

ping issues and trouble setting fqcodel on RT-AC86U (AC2900)?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for service details. I know they use low orbit satellites, but I still believe you can’t fight increased latency on your end. Good luck.

Everyone here is assuming you have ssh setup and amtm setup with a swap as well.

If you can get past that hurdle read Merlin’s wiki then we can install CAKEQOS-Merlin it’s just ui configuration that adds that tab.

In ssh for your router you would use this command in ssh. All one command copy and paste it.

mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Here is the github for it:

Thanks for service details. I know they use low orbit satellites, but I still believe you can’t fight increased latency on your end. Good luck.
After my tests these last few days, I'm starting to agree. I got it down a bit, but past that I think I just have to wait for them to resolve the congestion issues. It's still weird that I DO get much lower latency in other programs/games though. My ping in league of legends was pretty good, but it was inconsistent and spikey, which just seems to be a problem on Starlink's end.

Everyone here is assuming you have ssh setup and amtm setup with a swap as well.

If you can get past that hurdle read Merlin’s wiki then we can install CAKEQOS-Merlin it’s just ui configuration that adds that tab.

In ssh for your router you would use this command in ssh. All one command copy and paste it.

mkdir -p /jffs/addons/cake-qos && /usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ttgapers/cakeqos-merlin/master/cake-qos.sh" -o "/jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos" && chmod 755 /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos && sh /jffs/addons/cake-qos/cake-qos install

Here is the github for it:
this page https://diversion.ch/amtm.html says amtm is included in any firmware newer than 384.15. If that's correct, I just need to ssh into my router and copy/paste that command then?

edit: nvm, I got it, thanks!
1665639471395.png

Last edited:
ok, so after setting that up, putting in the rtt parameters.. and putzing around in the practice range for 20 mins, which isn't the best sample size but still... my ping felt more stable, but not significantly lower. It did seem to hit the 90-100 range more often, but idk if I'm just reading into things.
I did some more speedtests and ive been noticing my upload speed is likely the real bottleneck. I'll get 40-80mb down in off peak hours, and often not even crack 2mb up, even when cake isn't limiting things. Based on some anecdotes from others on the starlink reddit, the upload is often more important for ping in these games than the download. Is there something that might be wrong with my PC/Router itself that is limiting uploads (not cake, I know that would do it so I turn its upload limit off for the speedtests.. and this was happening before I ever installed it) or is this likely just an issue on starlink's end and I can't do anything about it.

edit: like.. look at this BS, literally just ran it.
1665640775342.png

ok, so after setting that up, putting in the rtt parameters.. and putzing around in the practice range for 20 mins, which isn't the best sample size but still... my ping felt more stable, but not significantly lower. It did seem to hit the 90-100 range more often, but idk if I'm just reading into things.
I did some more speedtests and ive been noticing my upload speed is likely the real bottleneck. I'll get 40-80mb down in off peak hours, and often not even crack 2mb up, even when cake isn't limiting things. Based on some anecdotes from others on the starlink reddit, the upload is often more important for ping in these games than the download. Is there something that might be wrong with my PC/Router itself that is limiting uploads (not cake, I know that would do it so I turn its upload limit off for the speedtests.. and this was happening before I ever installed it) or is this likely just an issue on starlink's end and I can't do anything about it.

Like I said it could simply be that game is really sensitive to higher latency because their is just so much going on. You can also try setting Diffserv3 and besteffort to both Diffserv8. And if you are not experiencing a lot of packet loss you can enable Filter duplicate ack on upload only.

E846EDC5-0429-499D-AB27-C6AA25F27624.jpeg

If your playing on windows you can also try this TCP optimizer set all to optimal should be a good start.

what post/thread? did you mean to link something and forget?
It appears I did. apologies. This is what I meant to link:

So, let me start off saying I'm not a networking expert, but I'm computer literate and I've gone down a rabbit hole last few days trying to research this issue.

I recently got starlink internet after having nothing but fixed wireless available here. While they definitely have network congestion issues during peak hours, I'm still regularly getting 100+mb down and 10+mb up speeds, with pings between 30-60 in most usecases.
However, when I try to play Overwatch2, something I was looking forward too as my old internet couldn't quite handle it, I cannot get my ping below 110 and its often higher and/or spiking constantly. When I did some bufferbloat checks on https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat I would get between C and B+ ratings each time, with median pings in the 40-80 range.

After some advice in the starlink reddit thread, I was advised to enable TCP ECN and QoS using fqcodel. After some research, I found your 3rd party firmware for my router and flashed it. On the QoS page, it shows Cake as an option now when it didn't before, so I assume it flashed correctly.. however, I don't have the option to pick fqcodel (or codel/qdisc). I saw some others post screenshots of that page, and it's like the box to pick the configuration just isn't there. I have all the other options. I tried running on Cake, setting relatively conservative up/down bandwidth limits, and playing around with the WAN packet number, but it didn't seem to effect ping much at all. Sometimes, it seemed to go up even higher with certain settings, but never really dropped. I also disabled port forwarding, triggering and upnp based on other tips I found for Overwatch specifically.

Also, I never figured out how to enable TCP ECN, unless that's something rolled up in cake/fqcodel already? Or, those are better versions of what ECN is trying to do? I'm also unsure whether starlink is closest to docsis, vdsl, etc.. so ive tended to leave that as default.

Lastly, if there is some other direction I should be looking, I'm all ears. I know starlink is having network congestion issues during peak times, and I'm on the 'best effort' level that deprioritizes me vs residential customers when its busy, but during offpeak times I'm confused how I can have such amazing bandwidth/ping numbers in everything but Overwatch2 (maybe other games too, but this is the only one that my ping would matter and I have an ingame meter tracking it). Plus, there are tons of other people on Best Effort in the reddit that are getting sub 60 pings w/ starlink and the super basic router they provide (I used that originally and it was even worse).

I would appreciate any help you could give. If there is some tests, logs or sysinfo you'd like me to run or provide, let me know.

Here’s a possible solution to starlink and Qos since it was just a developed for merlin I’d drop it under “might work”

Based off

credit to @rlj2 and @Lynx

Here’s a possible solution to starlink and Qos since it was just a developed for merlin I’d drop it under “might work”

Based off

credit to @rlj2 and @Lynx

Theres not going to be any magic to make starlink perfect, but the script moves my bufferbloat from "C's" to A/B. Has some trade-off at times, still tweaking for starlink.

autorate.png

Theres not going to be any magic to make starlink perfect, but the script moves my bufferbloat from "C's" to A/B. Has some trade-off at times, still tweaking for starlink.

View attachment 45079

Yep just figured I’d give him heads up since he was looking for something similar cake and qos was a problem due to the speeds changing at times and manually setting it would mean he’d have to adjust.

@Lynx im not really a gamer, but for people who are, what do you think the outcome of setting the reflector to the game servers ip?

cake-autorate has undergone quite a lot of further development since you wrote the port. The latest code is in the 'testing' branch and includes several new features like automatic reflector rotation in dependence upon comparison between reflectors relating to their baselines and deviation from their baselines. In theory this should help converge to a good reflector set from a given large enough set. But we've had some issues with ensuring process management is robust so it may be worth waiting a while before updating until we've ironed those out and released version 1.2.0.

In version 1.3.0 we will support use of entirely one way delays to give fully informed independent control of download and upload rates.

I think choosing nearby and high quality reflectors would trump setting a game server as one of the reflectors.

We are concerned about the latency associated with the last mile link between ISP and router, and want to react as quickly as possible to a reliable indication of an in increase in latency.

So far we've mostly worked with DNS servers provided by Cloudflare, Google and Quad9, and some have added hops associated with their own ISP.

Last edited: