What's new

amtm Please add support for F2FS (Flash Friendly File System)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Make WiFi Great Again

Regular Contributor
F2FS has been around for at least 8 or more years. F2FS gets a bad rep as being an experimental file system only suitable for testing or benchmarking but this isnt the case. Its been used natively in lots of phones and tablets and other stuff namely from Motorola and samsung for just as long(close to decade) The Entware repo has F2FS support tools and gives the user the ability to format a usb drive with f2fs but the amtm family of scripts complains majorly if I try to install amtm or any of the scripts inside amtm to a drive formatted with f2fs. I dont know why it should care though? Its my opinion that f2fs is as stable as ext3/4 and has a nice little speed boost to boot . so how about it amtm gods, can we get support for installing amtm and the other scripts on a f2fs formatted drive please?

And as a side question, is there any way to install amtm on /jffs? I have a few AIMesh nodes I would like to install scmerlin and a few entware programs all totaling about 20MB like iperf3 htop atop etc. Didnt want to use a usb drive since these programs would very seldom be used so as to not increase onboard flash wear. Im talking once or twice a month here. Seems like theres a bunch of safety traps perventing me from mounting and installing them on the jffs area....

F2FS has been around for at least 8 or more years. F2FS gets a bad rep as being an experimental file system only suitable for testing or benchmarking but this isnt the case. Its been used natively in lots of phones and tablets and other stuff namely from Motorola and samsung for just as long(close to decade) The Entware repo has F2FS support tools and gives the user the ability to format a usb drive with f2fs but the amtm family of scripts complains majorly if I try to install amtm or any of the scripts inside amtm to a drive formatted with f2fs. I dont know why it should care though? Its my opinion that f2fs is as stable as ext3/4 and has a nice little speed boost to boot . so how about it amtm gods, can we get support for installing amtm and the other scripts on a f2fs formatted drive please?
No. F2FS support is not built into Asuswrt-Merlin. If I would support it then the amtm disk formatting must be able to create this filesystem with system binaries only.
And as a side question, is there any way to install amtm on /jffs? I have a few AIMesh nodes I would like to install scmerlin and a few entware programs all totaling about 20MB like iperf3 htop atop etc. Didnt want to use a usb drive since these programs would very seldom be used so as to not increase onboard flash wear. Im talking once or twice a month here. Seems like theres a bunch of safety traps perventing me from mounting and installing them on the jffs area....
amtm writes its own files into jffs. Any other third-party script either depends on Entware or it is the script writers decision where to store files.
Entware uses about 15 MB, along with other scripts such as Diversion this can be in the three figure MB range. Older Asus router only have about 30 MB available for jffs. Along with other system files that are written to jffs this will not work.
The answer is no. There would be too many ifs and whens for me to consider.

"If I would support it then the amtm disk formatting must be able to create this filesystem with system binaries only."

That is the key to the puzzle I was missing. Thanks.