What's new

Please help catalog NAS Power Fail Management capabilities!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rate your NAS (then reply to thread). My NAS Power Fail grade is:

• "A" Auto-Power-Restore, with proper UPS monitoring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "B" Auto-Power-Restore, no UPS monitoring

• "C" Dumb Mechanical Power Switch

• "D-" Auto-Power-Restore except with UPS shutdown

• "F" Manual eSwitch for Wall Power

• "F+" PC-Sync Wakeup with Manual eSwitch for Wall Power

• Other

• Total voters

MrPete

Occasional Visitor
Forum denizens -- can you fill in the answer for YOUR NAS on "Power Fail Management" based on the categories below? It would save me a lot of calling around and/or testing! If you can answer, please reply to this thread with NAS product and Power Fail Management category answer.

SmallNetBuilder folk -- any chance you would consider adding something like the "feature" evaluation described below to your NAS comparisons? This information has GOT to be valuable for more than me!

BACKGROUND

In updating our small biz (nonprofit) server situation, I've learned a painful lesson the hard way: many RAID boxes do not properly handle power outages. I've now been through several DAS units that all failed one way or another.

We're about to buy a high end NAS, and I'm having trouble finding the information I need. SmallNetBuilder does not include it in comparison tables, and only makes occasional hints about it. (A friend with a Thecus N7700 graciously tested his, so I know the answer for that one...)

The goal: lights-out computing for the SOHO/small business. If there's an extended power failure at the office, we shouldn't have to drive in (or return from vacation) to get things going again after wall power is restored.

With desktop computers and servers, this is not a big deal. Every one we've owned in recent years will restore power to its previous (on) state after a power failure. And even when controlled by a UPS (APC, etc), the same is true.

With DAS/NAS RAIDs, the situation is more murky.

[Note that having a UPS only delays the inevitable in the event of a power outage. 5 to 45 minutes after the lights go out, your equipment will lose wall power! We have some very nice UPS units... with two multi-hour power outages in the last month, the UPS's did their job but couldn't keep power on THAT long :) ]

POWER FAIL MANAGEMENT GRADES

Here are the levels of Power Fail Management I've seen over the years, and a suggested grade for each level.

ACCEPTABLE

"A" Auto-Power-Restore, with proper UPS monitoring: when wall power is restored, the unit correctly returns to the previous (on) power state. It monitors UPS battery, shuts down before UPS fails, and restores correctly to the "on" state when UPS/wall power is restored. [Thecus 7700 and others]

"B" Auto-Power-Restore, no UPS monitoring: when wall power is restored, the unit correctly returns to the previous (on) power state. It does not monitor UPS, which is potentially risky in case of power glitches.

"C" Dumb Mechanical Power Switch: if the mechanical power switch is on, the unit is on. It does not monitor UPS, nor shut down on timeouts. Dumb, and potentially risky in case of power glitches, but at least it works.

UNACCEPTABLE

"D-" Auto-Power-Restore except with UPS shutdown: These have proper restoration of previous power state, and even support UPS-controlled shutdown. But there's a bug: once power is restored, the DAS/NAS stays off until you fire it up.

"F" Manual eSwitch for Wall Power: after wall power is restored, you must push the electronic switch to restore power. [Sans Digital TS2CT DAS and others]

"F+" PC-Sync Wakeup with Manual eSwitch for Wall Power: These are advertised as powering on/off in sync with the attached system. What they don't tell you: that's actually only wakeup/sleep. The basic power on/off function is an eSwitch. As above, after wall power is restored, you must manually push the switch. [Mediasonic HFR2-S3B ProRAID DAS and others]

Sans Digital TS2CT DAS - "F" (manual eSwitch)

This DAS RAID 1 unit is very nice in many ways. But total FAIL on power management.

When wall power is lost, it shuts down until you press the button to turn it on.

Mediasonic HFR2-S3B ProRAID DAS "F+" (Manual eSwitch with auto-wakeup)

The Mediasonic HFR2-S3B ProRAID DAS looked great. Four drives, on sale at NewEgg. Specs and reviews tell how its power is managed by the attached computer.

Only one problem. When wall power fails, it stays off until you push the button. Just like with the units that pay no attention to PC power.

FAIL.

Good suggestion. I'll see if I can add this to the NAS Features table.

I can tell you that all QNAP and Synology NASes both monitor UPS for clean shutdown and you can have them auto restart (or not) after power fail.

How about Synology DX510?

Tim,
From your own review here, it would appear the Synology DX510 add-on box doesn't fit the generalization:
Although the printed User's Guide says that the DX510 will be turned on or off automatically by its companion Disk Station, I found only the auto power-off works.

You'll need to manually hit the front panel power button on the DX510 and let the drives spin up before turning on the companion NAS. This is especially important if you configure a volume consisting of drives both in the main NAS and in the DX510.

Or perhaps this was an early bug, since fixed?

From the above description, this one would rate as "F+" PC-Sync Wakeup with Manual eSwitch for Wall Power.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!