What's new

Poe+ powered switch recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jasons6930

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

I am looking g to add a small switch to my network that will provide data to a PS4 and a tv, but powered via Poe+

in the room next door I have a Poe+ switch that is doing similar but only for a tv and sky box.

I would like to take a Poe port from this and use it to power the mini switch in the other room to save on more stuff to plug in!

I have had a quick look and the ubiquity flex mini looked perfect however it appears it can only be powered by standard Poe.

does anyone have similar or can recommend a suitable switch?

First off, some education. Any switch that is PoE+ (802.3at) capable is automatically backwards-compatible with standard PoE (802.3af).

This means that the USW-Flex would work just fine, albeit it's a UniFi switch, which means no control plane access without a UniFi controller or at least the smartphone app, so a bit awkward there -- more of a value for those who already have a UniFi network online.

If you're more apt to want a standalone, web-manageable switch, if your skill set it up to snuff I'd look at a Mikrotik HeX S ($69, runs RouterOS), otherwise a Netgear GS105PE ($75), Mikrotik CSS610-8G-2S+IN ($82, runs SwitchOS) or Cisco SG250-08 ($105) -- any of which can be powered by active PoE/PoE+ (802.3af/at). The Netgear might be the easiest to use, the Mikrotiks the most configurable and the Cisco the most reliable and standards-compliant. Pick your poison. :)

I have the GS105PE and it works fine for me and I guess that it will work perfect in your scenario, I have a different one I guess a bit more complex and it works just fine.

My area suffers a lot by power outages so I had to get a portable gas generator to power a few devices (1 firewall with OPNsense, 1 switch (TL-SG105PE), 3 AP (TP link Omada EAO245), 1 switch (GS105PE) and my laptop)

portable generatos > Power strip > firewall and switch > the switch power through poe+ 2 EAP and the netgear switch > the netgear swtich power by poe the third EAP

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!