What's new

Poll: Do you use AiProtection in your ASUS router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you use AiProtection in your Asus router?

• Yes, I use AiProtection.

Votes: 49 64.5%
  • No, I do not use AiProtection.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • No, I will never use AiProtection!

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OzarkEdge

Part of the Furniture
Poll (see above): Do you use AiProtection in your ASUS router?

OE

Last edited:
No reason not to. Already paid for the privilege to use it too, when buying a supported Asus router.

While I've only had it identify threats under "Malicious Sites Blocking", and that's trended down over time as this role has shifted to DNS.. it continues to identify threats periodically, even this week.

No reason not to. Already paid for the privilege to use it too, when buying a supported Asus router.

Yes but, not everyone sees it as a privilege. At least they don't require a recurring subscription like some OEMs are doing.

OE

Always have used it. Have seen it protect a small office network from employees who have bad browsing habits. Including the executive director.
Anything free is cheap....

But it's not free. It's in the price of each router.

It may still be 'cheap' though! :)

Consider my laptops and smartphones are spied on by OS companies and countless apps, TM is the least of my concern. In fact, even your ISP and VPN providers are spying on you. If you are using any mainland Chinese routers, all your data must be routed to Bejing by law when requested. Cisco do the same for the US government, and so do MS and Google and many more. If you are some high profile people or doing anything shady or illegal, you might have to worry. But for the average people, WTFC. Internet privacy doesn't exist afterall.

"what can be seen by Trend Micro:

• Product information, such as MAC address, device ID
• Public IP address of the user’s gateway to the internet
• Mobile/PC environment
• Metadata from suspicious executable files
URLs, Domains and IP addresses of websites visited (which answers the question in the title of this article)
• Metadata of user/device managed by gateway Product
• Application behaviours
Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided access
Behaviours of Product users
Information from suspicious email, including sender and receiver email address, and attachments
• Detected malicious file information
• Detected malicious network connection information
• Debug logs
• Network Architecture/Topology
• Screen capture of errors"

Hard pass.

"what can be seen by Trend Micro:

• Product information, such as MAC address, device ID
• Public IP address of the user’s gateway to the internet
• Mobile/PC environment
• Metadata from suspicious executable files
URLs, Domains and IP addresses of websites visited (which answers the question in the title of this article)
• Metadata of user/device managed by gateway Product
• Application behaviours
Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided access
Behaviours of Product users
Information from suspicious email, including sender and receiver email address, and attachments
• Detected malicious file information
• Detected malicious network connection information
• Debug logs
• Network Architecture/Topology
• Screen capture of errors"

Hard pass.

Some FUD in that.

The links on the following router webUI page are more relevant... read them:

Screenshot 2022-03-12 205216.jpg

OE

Last edited:
Some FUD in that.

The links on the following router webUI page are more relevant... read them:

View attachment 40157

OE

So, Web Reputation Service;

• IP address
  • URL
  • File name
  • File path

Forgot to add:

The collected information can also be used for other purposes such as:

• Internal record keeping;
• Compliance with the law and requests from government bodies;
• Product and Service development;
• Keeping existing and past Customers informed about our Products, Services and promotions;
• Providing Customer support;
• Managing subscriptions and billing; and
• Responding to requests, questions and comments.

What is 'wrong' or 'illegal' and what is 'right' and 'moral' change over time or according to government policy so I def would not be comfortable enabling this feature.

Forgot to add:

The collected information can also be used for other purposes such as:

• Internal record keeping;
• Compliance with the law and requests from government bodies;
• Product and Service development;
• Keeping existing and past Customers informed about our Products, Services and promotions;
• Providing Customer support;
• Managing subscriptions and billing; and
• Responding to requests, questions and comments.

What is 'wrong' or 'illegal' and what is 'right' and 'moral' change over time or according to government policy so I def would not be comfortable enabling this feature.
You're quoting TrendMicro's general policy for all of their products (do they have your subscription and billing info? - no). You need to read their policy regarding Smart Home devices where it applies to Asus routers as mentioned in posts #13 and #14.

This subject has been flogged to death in numerous threads over many years now. This thread alone is over a year old.