What's new

Poll: Router + NAS Combos

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Router + NAS Options

• WRT1900AC + USB 3.0 HDD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RT-AC68U + Thecus N2310 SOHO / other NAS

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Nighthawk + Thecus N2310 SOHO / other NAS

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Nighthawk + USB 3.0 HDD

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

TenaciousDuck

Occasional Visitor
So here it is - I am looking for a good wireless router + NAS solution, and here are the options I have come up with:

1) Linksys WRT1900AC + USB 3.0 HDD (60-70MB/s write speeds)
2) Asus RT-AC68U + Thecus N2310 SOHO (or other NAS???)
3) Netgear Nighthawk + Thecus N2310 SOHO (again, or other??)
4) Netgear Nighthawk + USB 3.0 HDD

Here is what I am wanting:

- A wireless router with great range for a 1700 sq foot house and in the yard. I think all of the above with perform fine with this. For NAS, I want to be able to access the files from anywhere in the world (FTP, all have) and on mobile devices. DLNA (all have) and other streaming options would be nice. Needing 40MB/s minimum transfer speed on the NAS. Farthest distance from router would be 75 feet through a few walls.

Cost - Want the cost to not be outrageous... not looking at buying a $400+ dedicated NAS. Want to keep costs lower as my internet connection is only 10Mb/s down and 800Kb/s up. Just want fast transfer speeds on the NAS through Wireless N (on the laptop side, NAS would be either USB or Ethernet as described above), and good range for internet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm curious why you limited the choices.

All 3 routers have the capability to function as a NAS. Likewise, all 3 would really be better served by using them solely as routers and in conjunction with a standalone NAS.

I definitely would not recommend the last option. Even with the latest .60 firmware release, people in the Netgear forums are reporting lots of issues with file sharing functionality, including files being erased and drives being corrupted.

I haven't exactly limited my choices to these three combinations specifically, as they are just ones I have put together. I think I would like one of these wireless routers simply because of their performance and range... Even though I'll only be at 10Mb/s download for my Internet. For NAS, again haven't chosen any specific one just saw that the stated one seems good. But I've read great things about an external hdd coupled with the WRT1900AC getting a solid 70MB/s write and 110MB/s read which is above what most average NAS dedicated solutions offer for the money.

The debate really is for whether I go with the wrt and a hdd or a different route and dedicated NAS... trying just to keep costs down though

I'm curious why you limited the choices.

All 3 routers have the capability to function as a NAS. Likewise, all 3 would really be better served by using them solely as routers and in conjunction with a standalone NAS.

I definitely would not recommend the last option. Even with the latest .60 firmware release, people in the Netgear forums are reporting lots of issues with file sharing functionality, including files being erased and drives being corrupted.

You left out the option... None, get a NAS

Well, I need a wireless router, but I suppose if I go for a dedicated NAS then whatever router I go with won't have a significant impact (besides speed, etc).

Talking about the poll, though, with write/read of 70/100 on USB 3.0 w/ WRT1900AC, it makes it difficult to justify spending a little less on a wireless router, but significantly more on a dedicated NAS.

I looked into what dedicated NAS has to offer, found a couple little articles but nothing really separating my two solutions unfortunately

My advice is to get an ASUS AC68u. Skip the NAS for now as you probably don't need one. The ASUS has Aicloud that should probably meet your remote file needs.

I don't need all the fancy features or added expense of a NAS. The AC68u is not as fast as the others with data write speed to a USB drive, but honestly, all of my large backups or file transfers happen right before I go to bed. I have the RT-N66U and it's 10 MB/s is fast enough for me while I'm sleeping. (I only have 2x2 wireless N adapters)

ASUS has done a good job fixing their bugs, adding features, and improving the product. . Netgear and Linksys routers are usually obsolete 6 months after you buy them as they don't like fixing bugs and keeping routers up to speed. (example: linksys is still selling EA4500 routers on their website that don't support IE11). They'll probably be releasing a WRT1900AC version 2 in six months and the current WRT1900AC will be end of life as far as updates. The current WRT1900 might very well already be end of life regarding updates.

ASUS has a much longer warranty too.

Buy the ASUS.....if you don't like it, simply return it to the store and get something else.

Last edited:
I agree with the majority of what you say regarding warranty and such, but for me, the difference between 10MB/s and 70 can be substantial.

I know I am more in favour of Asus products to begin with, but for the small price difference I may end up going the WRT route. I would prefer an Asus any day, but I know I couldn't live with the 10MB/s. I do quite a bit of music and video production, so I am transferring fairly large files and will have to do streaming as well. From the NAS standpoint, I don't see any difference in what they offer for that, unless I am missing something?

It really is a tough call for me. I like Asus's products in general, their warranty, support and the works. Even their wireless performance is great. Just wish that the USB would be better - especially because I will be transferring files wirelessly and will not be connected directly to the router, I have a feeling the Asus would have pretty substantially slow read/write speeds in comparison.

I may end up getting the Asus and doing a bit of testing and see which one will work best for me as you advised... who knows, it could end up being just right.

Thanks for the reply and advice!

My advice is to get an ASUS AC68u. Skip the NAS for now as you probably don't need one. The ASUS has Aicloud that should probably meet your remote file needs. ..

ASUS has done a good job fixing their bugs, adding features, and improving the product. .....

ASUS has a much longer warranty too.

Buy the ASUS.....if you don't like it, simply return it to the store and get something else.

<snip>Just wish that the USB would be better

its never going to be as you are putting demands on the ram and cpu of the router as well as all the other stuff its needing to do

there is no replacement for a real NAS

just for fyi below are some actual real life throughput data

-------------------------

netgear R7000

usb3 to ethernet

read 42 MB/s write 27 MB/s

usb 3 to asus pce-ac66 at 10 feet

read 27 MB/s write 7.7 MB/s

usb 3 to belkin 1200 AC usb at 10 feet

read 25 MB/s write 4.3 MB/s

dlink 327L nas to giga ethernet via R7000

read 112 MB/s write 70 MB/s

------------------

asus rt-ac68u

usb3 to ethernet

read 52 MB/s write 38 MB/s

usb 3 to asus pce-ac68 at 10 feet

read 33.5 MB/s write 27.7 MB/s

usb 3 to belkin 1200 AC usb at 10 feet

read 23.5 MB/s 21.5 MB/s write

dlink 327L nas to giga ethernet via asus rt-ac68u

read 104 MB/s write 86.5 MB/s

------------------

linksys wrt1900AC

usb 3 to ethernet

read 81 MB/s write 23.5.5 MB/s

usb 3 to asus pce-ac66 at 10 feet 5 gig

read 51 MB/s write 23.5 MB/s

usb 3 to tp link T4U AC usb at 10 feet 5 gig

read 30.5 MB/s write 10.9 MB/s

dlink 327L nas to giga ethernet via linksys wrt1900AC

read 106 MB/s write 65.5 MB/s

-----------------

NOTE : wifi tested with wireless AC adapters above , results will be comparatively much lower if wireless N or wireless G adapters are used

-----------------

so as you can see with even my dlink dns-327L NAS its far far superior to any of the usb 3 devices , even the wrt1900AC , which has other issue as well

sure get the asus but forget its usb 3 for anything but casual access , if you want a NAS get a real NAS

pete

p.s i also have wifi coverage and throughput data on the 3 units above if needed tested at both 10 feet and 20 meters

Last edited:
I agree with the majority of what you say regarding warranty and such, but for me, the difference between 10MB/s and 70 can be substantial.

I know I am more in favour of Asus products to begin with, but for the small price difference I may end up going the WRT route. I would prefer an Asus any day, but I know I couldn't live with the 10MB/s. I do quite a bit of music and video production, so I am transferring fairly large files and will have to do streaming as well. From the NAS standpoint, I don't see any difference in what they offer for that, unless I am missing something?

It really is a tough call for me. I like Asus's products in general, their warranty, support and the works. Even their wireless performance is great. Just wish that the USB would be better - especially because I will be transferring files wirelessly and will not be connected directly to the router, I have a feeling the Asus would have pretty substantially slow read/write speeds in comparison.

I may end up getting the Asus and doing a bit of testing and see which one will work best for me as you advised... who knows, it could end up being just right.

Take a look at Pete y testing results in post above. The 10MB/s that I mentioned is for an RT-N66U with my 2x2 clients. An RT-N66U and an RT-AC68U aren't the same router.

Edit-- hopefully Pete y testing will edit his post so he doesn't confuse anyone with his MB/s and Mb/s typos.

Last edited:
Take a look at Pete y testing results in post above. The 10MB/s that I mentioned is for an RT-N66U with my 2x2 clients. An RT-N66U and an RT-AC68U aren't the same router.

Edit-- hopefully Pete y testing will edit his post so he doesn't confuse anyone with his MB/s and Mb/s typos.

lol sorry its all MB/s , as MB/s is a measure of throughput and not sync

all of my tests are done with transfer rates and are an average of multiple tests

pete

Last edited:
I'm not a veteran of NAS usage at all, but Buffalo's 421e has gone on sale on amazon for a pretty cheap price (compared to the thecus). Give it a look: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO0DE0W/?tag=snbforums-20

Maybe one of the more experienced guys can comment on it here. I know also that some of them are preferential to the ReadyNas series of NAS' by Netgear, and those seem to of gone on sale as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNI4A90/?tag=snbforums-20

Obviously then you would need to buy HDDs for these guys too.

Question: Is it possible to get an external HDD for now and back up to that (from your PC, not across the network) in the interim while you wait to purchase a NAS?

Why not try a Raspberry Pi?

I can only state this, as these are my plans for my Router/"NAS" combo.

I am going to use a Raspberry Pi (Model B) as my "NAS". While it does only support 100Mbit/s network and USB 2.0, it is extremely cheap (<$50 USD for everything).

The only draw back is that you have to program it yourself to a point, yet there are so many sites out there, and even images for the flash drive, that are already configured.

I am doing it for the cheapness, and that fact that I want to use Secure FTP utilizing that many desktop USB HDD's that I have sitting around.

I am sure someone is going to jump in and clarify things a little better then I can as I am no wizard, but you did mention 75 ft through a few walls and you also mentioned DLNA and large audio/video file exchange.

I do these same things and I built a FreeNas which just released 9.2 on the 9th. This NAS has come a long way and it allows you to build your own specs and run the Freenas from a 4gig thumb drive. I have had my Nas running for over three years now and not even the slightest hiccup with it. I also enjoy the nas has plugin for PLEX and couch potato for me to host my movies to any device that runs plex witch is almost any smart phone tablet and smart TV. Not to leave out the Roku3 which is a really nice little device. Freenas also gives you the opportunity to upgrade and add what ever you like as time goes on you are not confined to a pre-made solution. I have just recently added a second NIC and will start routing and separating my traffic.

Just remember purchasing one very nice router doesn't always solve all your issue and needs and depending what walls you are going through if its even enough especially if you are talking about hosting media over the air. i have the nighthawk as of last week and still trying to tweak it for my desired result (just flashed wrt last night )and I am using a wndr4500 as an AP and you have to keep wpa2 with AES to get the N speeds.
i think there are always just so many forgotten or unknown parameters we don't think about when setting up our networks and so many times we are disappointed because we are unable to achieve all of these amazing advertized speeds in real world solutions.

Any of the routers you mention are decent enough - but they cannot provide the same level of performance and reliability of a dedicated NAS/SOHO Server.

Segregate functions and get best of class for the $$$ for each function.

sfx

This thread might be of interest to the OP.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=124989#post124989

Less than $400 budget for what you want? Keep saving.

A NAS is not just high(er) read/write speeds. Nor is a router capable of turning an external HDD into a NAS (except at a very, very basic level).

As mentioned; keep the functions separated and get the best performance from both. But not at the prices you're initially thinking though.

This thread might be of interest to the OP.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=124989#post124989

Less than $400 budget for what you want? Keep saving.

A NAS is not just high(er) read/write speeds. Nor is a router capable of turning an external HDD into a NAS (except at a very, very basic level).

As mentioned; keep the functions separated and get the best performance from both. But not at the prices you're initially thinking though.

I wouldn't say it's impossible. I paid $230 for my WRT1900AC. The AC68U is like $180. I have a single-drive Buffalo Linkstation NAS that is full-featured and far superior to router-based NAS and I paid $179 for it.

So I'm right in line with a $400 budget.

htismaqe,

Thanks for the post.

I'll possibly have to look into the Buffalo Linkstation NAS for a couple of my customers.

How long is your experience with it and what do you demand of your NAS?

htismaqe,

Thanks for the post.

I'll possibly have to look into the Buffalo Linkstation NAS for a couple of my customers.

How long is your experience with it and what do you demand of your NAS?

I bought in November of 2010 based on information/review from here at SNB. I actually paid $175 for it now that I found the invoice on NewEgg.

For me, the biggest things that I want are reliability and ease of use.

I've never had to reboot it or recover it or anything like that. The only times it goes down is when I lose power or upgrade firmware. It's only a single drive but it supports USB backup to an external drive and setting it up takes less than a minute. It supports differential backups and those backups have never failed.

Setting up users and user groups is straightforward and simple.

From a feature standpoint, it supports Time Machine, has a torrent client, media server, and supports shares using AFP, SMB, and FTP. It has pretty much every feature you'd expect really.

I bought in November of 2010 based on information/review from here at SNB. I actually paid $175 for it now that I found the invoice on NewEgg.

For me, the biggest things that I want are reliability and ease of use.

the only thing to question is its read and write speeds , yes it may have been cheap but if its slow would it be wise to have the poster above recommending them

write speeds are quite important when it comes to backups and the like

pete