What's new

Pondering NAS for home - DS414, or wait?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Very true that if high performance and quality are a concern, QNAP is a better choice. If a user is looking for something cheap and performance is not a concern, QNAP will appear to be robust, unnecessary, and expensive. In fact, please be sure to check our hard drive compatibility list before choosing a product as most QNAP NAS devices will not work with low end Hard drives.

Very true that if high performance and quality are a concern, QNAP is a better choice. If a user is looking for something cheap and performance is not a concern, QNAP will appear to be robust, unnecessary, and expensive. In fact, please be sure to check our hard drive compatibility list before choosing a product as most QNAP NAS devices will not work with low end Hard drives.

Is a better choice why? How about some facts? Or are you a sales rep? Also, please define "low end" drives.

Rosco, I hear you. My eyes were getting glazed over as well. I set strict budget limitations since it was a first NAS which automatically pared my choices down. I read a lot of site reviews, but I also read user reviews at Amazon as well as both QNAP and Synology forums.

Last edited:
With 3 and 4TB drives common now, I wonder why a residential user needs more than a 2 bay NAS, for cost reasons. Using RAID5 is NOT a rationale, as RAID is not a backup to protect from faults more common than drive failure, e.g., human error, theft.

That posting from the QNAP sales rep is just wrong in several ways.

I got a Synology DS213+ with two WD Red 2TB drives & couldn't be happier. The DSM software is really amazing.

Sent from my mobile phone.

Cheap?

Do you mean cheap meaning "economical" or "inferior"?

And can you please define "low end drives"?