What's new

Port Forwarding Firewall

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Error: I could not see your service on 80.x.x.x on port (46200)
Reason: Connection timed out

It is displayed for 3 seconds that the port can be reached from there and then is again unreachable -.-

Have you set remote access in Plex?

5QoVeQ.png

If you have upnp set in your router, then Plex will automatically open the port.

Also if you're using dnsmasq, edit the file /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add in your router and add the line

Code:
rebind-domain-ok=/plex.direct/

This is the content of my dnsmasq.conf.add file

Code:
rebind-localhost-ok
dhcp-option=lan,42,192.168.1.1 # ntpMerlin

Have you set remote access in Plex?
He uploaded a screen shot of that in post #19.

He is running his Plex server on the router itself rather than on a LAN client which makes things a bit more complicated. I suspect his Plex network settings are incorrect. I have asked him 3 times to verify them but he hasn't responded to that.

He uploaded a screen shot of that in post #19.

He is running his Plex server on the router itself rather than on a LAN client which makes things a bit more complicated. I suspect his Plex network settings are incorrect. I have asked him 3 times to verify them but he hasn't responded to that.

:oops: it was early for me (and before 1st coffee) when I browsed through this thread, I missed the overnight developments. I wonder how well Plex performs on a router, I prefer to let my router do the routing and security and use another machine for such tasks. Guess transcoding any video is a no-no.

Last edited:
I checked the network settings and the ports remain closed, the same applies to upnp. if I turn off the router's firewall, everything is working properly. the problem firewall is the problem.

@TCoreX Create a /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 32400 -j ACCEPT

You then don't need any port forwarding rules as Plex binds itself to all network adapters including the WAN interface.

Thank you, will try this until tomorrow and let you know. thanks again :)

Also if you're using dnsmasq, edit the file /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add in your router and add the line

Code:

This is the content of my dnsmasq.conf.add file

Code:
rebind-localhost-ok
dhcp-option=lan,42,192.168.1.1 # ntpMerlin

Hi @PeterR

Sorry to jump on your reply to someone else but I believe the issues I am facing with Plex are because of the DNS rebind. I have a 86U (192.168.0.1) running Skynet and Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole (192.168.0.4). My Plex server is on a Windows computer (192.168.0.3).

Everything works perfectly apart from remote connections. When I port forward the Plex port things are all good but when I disable the port forward and connect via OpenVPN I am unable to connect to my Plex remotely.

I often see Plex Rebind logs on the router so I presume I need to add the rebind-domain-ok=/plex.direct/ line to my /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add

Unfortuantely I have no idea how this is done and can't find any references - all I know is I need to SSH into my router but that is where I come to a halt. Can you offer any help please?

Hi @PeterR

Sorry to jump on your reply to someone else but I believe the issues I am facing with Plex are because of the DNS rebind. I have a 86U (192.168.0.1) running Skynet and Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole (192.168.0.4). My Plex server is on a Windows computer (192.168.0.3).

Everything works perfectly apart from remote connections. When I port forward the Plex port things are all good but when I disable the port forward and connect via OpenVPN I am unable to connect to my Plex remotely.

I often see Plex Rebind logs on the router so I presume I need to add the rebind-domain-ok=/plex.direct/ line to my /jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add

Unfortuantely I have no idea how this is done and can't find any references - all I know is I need to SSH into my router but that is where I come to a halt. Can you offer any help please?

It's covered in the wiki:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-config-files
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Custom-domains-with-dnsmasq

@TCoreX Create a /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script as follows:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 32400 -j ACCEPT

You then don't need any port forwarding rules as Plex binds itself to all network adapters including the WAN interface.

Thanks that worked flawlessly :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!