What's new

Port Forwarding not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

emersonscorder

New Around Here
RT-AX86U, Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.386.7_2 firmware

Tried with both of my internet providers (i have a backup just in case because I live in BF now where Michigan). When I do a port check using a few different online tools and using my external IP address (even triple checking using my phone while using cell service not wifi) the ports I have selected as open still show closed. Port 443 is showing open, which is the port the Asus remote app uses. I had this issue with stock firmware and this firmware as well and I cant for the life of me understand WHY it never actually opens the ports I need.

Im trying to set up port forwarding for my plex server, my HA sever, and for remote desktop so that I can do some tinkering while I'm away from home.

Check that your rules have been created successfully at System Log - Port Forwarding. If they have been then it's a client/server issue.

Check that your rules have been created successfully at System Log - Port Forwarding. If they have been then it's a client/server issue.
Every client? All of the rules I set up are for different devices, even opening up the ports Playstation recommends to help with high ping issues for multiplayer gaming dont "open"

Every client? All of the rules I set up are for different devices,
How are you testing this? You have to have something actively listening on the port otherwise it will be closed. Post a screen shot of your System Log - Port Forwarding page.

even opening up the ports Playstation recommends to help with high ping issues for multiplayer gaming dont "open"
Sony doesn't recommend forwarding ports, only making sure ports are open which is entirely different. Just enable UPnP and let the software open and close the ports for you automatically when needed.

Port forwarding doesn't change latency. This is just a myth that gamer-kiddies that don't know any better tell themselves.

Sorry for the crap screen shot. My wife is sending me these pics while I'm at work.

It's the last one for port 3389 that's my biggest concern right now that I need working for remote desktop. The computer I'm trying to remote into is on, and the correct settings have been made to allow it to work through windows firewall.
IMG_20221213_164018.jpg

It's possible your company's firewall is blocking unauthorised outgoing connections on common ports (like 3389). I would expect you to be able to get to the Plex server on port 26380 though. Can you verify that you can reach the router's GUI on port 8443?

Do you have any VPN clients setup on the router?

The company i work for is next door to my house, family owned business. It uses the same DSL modem I have here at home. Yes, i said it. DSL. Thats how bumpkin it is up here.

I can connected to the router using my public ip address with :8443 just fine, so I know that part is working.

No VPN. To be honest i tried a couple of times, couldnt figure it out, and gave up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!