What's new

Port forwarding only working on some ports? AX86U.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zekesdad

Regular Contributor
Yesterday I upgraded from AC86u to AX86U and set up the dns, dhcp, and port forwarding exactly as it was on the new router. Unfortunately only half of the ports are actually reachable from the internet. Http, Plex, webmin all work and are routed to the correct machine. Deluge and ssh do no and report as closed. I can reach them just fine over lan.
I’ve tried factory resetting the router, I’ve checked that the ports are open on the pc and in the port list on the router. I’m unsure where to go from here.

Try turning off AiProtection and/or DOS protection. The router might be interpreting the traffic on those ports as an attack.

Also, don't use the standard SSH port on the internet facing side.

Try turning off AiProtection and/or DOS protection. The router might be interpreting the traffic on those ports as an attack.

Also, don't use the standard SSH port on the internet facing side.
ai protection is off, I don’t see anything for ddos. And you’re right, I don’t use port 22 for ssh.

Does the target machine have it's own firewall settings? Has your LAN IP address range changed?

It’s an Ubuntu server and I double checked that the ports are open in the firewall on the server. No, I set up the addresses exactly like they were on the ac86u that worked.

Strange. Have you tried changing the external port on the router to something completely different, say 25242. Just is case by some bizarre coincidence the port you chose was already in use by some other client.

Strange. Have you tried changing the external port on the router to something completely different, say 25242. Just is case by some bizarre coincidence the port you chose was already in use by some other client.
I tried changing the port but it says that is closed too.

You said the other port forwarding rules were working. Are they also directed to this Ubuntu server or are they targeting another machine?

Yes they do.

So I reset the machine last night and set up everything again and it started working. But then when I got up, the SSH port (not 22) and Deluge Webui port were both blocked again. Plex, web, and, webmin, were all still working.

To anyone with this issue in this thread, check out the other thread linked above. Long story short, it is out of Merlins control, and also exists in the stock firmware. We need everyone with this issue to install the stock firmware (temporarily) and then submit the feedback form to Asus so they're aware.

To anyone with this issue in this thread, check out the other thread linked above. Long story short, it is out of Merlins control, and also exists in the stock firmware. We need everyone with this issue to install the stock firmware (temporarily) and then submit the feedback form to Asus so they're aware.
I have an RT-AX88U (similar architecture to the RT-AX86U) with a port forward that gets used on a daily basis, and have zero issues with it.

Any reported issue so far only affects the older CTF-based platform.