What's new

port forwarding: what am I missing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Herman Slotenmaker

Occasional Visitor
done this dozens of times; but seem to be mising something stupid this time.

AC-86U on aimesh with AC-68U. Brand new setup. Merlin 386.1 Trying to open port 31001 to 3101 on my Synology. This worked without problems till I swapped My AC68U by AC86U as the main router last week.

First I thought the apply button was missing. But this seems not to be the case: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-merlin-port-forwarding-apply-button-missing-384-16.64036/

Tried many different settings (firewall on and off; local port blank,...), but the port won't open. Any suggestions?

canyouseeme.org keeps telling mee: Error: I could not see your service on ************ on port (31001)

1612606659379.png

Admittedly this is pretty rare, but I have seen cases where the router has been rebooted only to suddenly find the ISP has assigned a *private* IP on the WAN (e.g., CGNAT, which can NOT be port forwarded) rather than a *public* IP. Perhaps because of heavy loading and limited IPv4 addressing at that time. At the very least, it's worth checking. A CGNAT ip would typically start w/ 100.64.x.x. Or it might NOT be CGNAT, but just something in the private IP space generally (10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x).

The default subnet for an 86U is 192.168.50.0. Did you set it back to 192.168.1.0 when you swapped routers?

Hmm, I'm not quite sure I understand both answers. But we're might be onto something.

I believe it shouldn't say 192.168.0.160 by WAN IP...

1612620925743.png

I believe it shouldn't say 192.168.0.160 by WAN IP...
Correct. That is not a public IP address so that suggests that your Asus' WAN port is connected to another router. What is that upstream device? Perhaps it is a modem/router combi that was previous configured in "bridge mode" but has been reset to "router mode".

Correct. That is not a public IP address so that suggests that your Asus' WAN port is connected to another router. What is that upstream device? Perhaps it is a modem/router combi that was previous configured in "bridge mode" but has been reset to "router mode".
100 points! :)

The router/modem was still bridged to my ASUS AC-68Us MAC-address...completely forgot about setting the bridging..

Thank you all

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!