What's new

Possible Auto negotiation Issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thesmallone

New Around Here
I just signed up with a new ISP that has pre-wired ethernet in my building. When I connect the cat5 directly from my computer to the wall jack, I get speeds of around 50mbps down/50 mbps up.

However, when I connect my NetGear WNDR3400 in between, my downstream drops to ~9mbps, but upstream is unaffected. I have the NIC on my computer set to 100mbps full duplex, if I set this back to Auto Negotiation, I get the same gimped 9mbps speed that I would through the router.

I spoke with the ISP tech support and they said bad cabling in the building or my apartment might be interfering with the Auto Negotiation protocol between the them and my router, and this is causing it to drop down to 10mbps instead of 100mbps.

I can't find any place to disable Auto Negotiation on my router, is this option available on any consumer routers? I really need a router for my home network but I don't want to lose all that bandwidth I'm paying for.

It feels like there has to be an easier solution or some way to get autoneg working properly, I just dont know what it is and was hoping someone here might know.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
use certified cat 5 e or cat 6 cables

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!