What's new

Possible problem with MESH nodes using Firmware version 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Strange. I have a situation where I have an AC88U as master en one AC68U as Aimesh Node + another AC68U as simple AP.
I sit at about 2 m from the AC88U, 4 meter from the AC68U Aimesh Node (one extra wall) and 10 m from the AC68U AP (3 to 4 walls inbetween).
I noticed I do not have WIFI on one of my devices (iphone), when I connect I get a connetion error. Then suddenly it connects to the very weak signal of the router that is the furthest away.
Why are the Aimesh router and node refusing this connection to leave me at a weak signal?
I also seem to experience drop-outs on the node.
I have tried all kinds of stuff but no success so far. A power cycle helps but this should not be needed if I read the above positive feedback of some.
If you are using firmware 386.1, that one is using ASUS's AI MESH 2.0, new code base. So they most likely still are sorting bugs and it is closed source, i.e. it is out of the control of the devs behind ASUS WRT Merlin.

Recently I updated my RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U to firmware version 386.1. Everything apart from a few sync issues was fine (by sync issues I meant my AI MESH router, RT-AX86U, would lose connection and reconnect. That was until yesterday when I noticed the router would not be connected, the internet LED was RED. I turned it off and on again but it wouldn't connect. So I thought I would reset to the factory settings. It is the second time I have to do this with this firmware. Before installing the latest Merlin firmware on my MESH NODE (RT-AX86U), the ASUS firmware was installed and ran stable for months while on my main router the RT-AX86U I was using Merlin's firmware 384.19.

I had similar issues with my AC routers in the past. Somehow, Merlin's firmware leads to a unstable MESH network.

AiMesh is running rock solid on my network running Merlin 386.1 on my main router and stock 386.1 on my nodes. You may want to try that configuration if you haven't already. I saw a great speed boost moving from AiMesh 1.0 to 2.0. Hope you get it figured out without having to go back to AiMesh 1.0.

Good luck!

AiMesh is running rock solid on my network running Merlin 386.1 on my main router and stock 386.1 on my nodes. You may want to try that configuration if you haven't already. I saw a great speed boost moving from AiMesh 1.0 to 2.0. Hope you get it figured out without having to go back to AiMesh 1.0.

Good luck!
Thank you very much I will keep that in mind if I hit another wall. Thanks for sharing!

I already realize all you are saying. And I wouldn't have posted this if, like I said, the problem is solved by installing ASUS's firmware on the MESH NODES (slaves), not the main. It happened three times already. Doesn't matter if I am new here or now. I am not new in the IT industry, I know how it works and again all I did is raise an issue, not attacking anyone.

I think I was pretty clear with all the information how I got these issues.
I can confirm this is similar to my scenario, and it is the workaround for me as I have two AC86U, one main and mesh node, the mesh node never got connected while on 386.1 (both). I had to install the mesh node AC86U Asusrwt firmware version (the one introduced AiMesh 2.0 , not the latest one), then joined it to the AiMesh network and then upgraded to 386.1.

Peaceeeee!

So, here is my story, and it's fine if no one cares but...

Running aimesh, Ax88 <---> Ac88, Ac1750. Have always run Merlin on the Ax88 and latest Asus on the mesh units. Had no problem updating the the mesh units to Asus 386 firmware, but when I finally took the plunge and updated the Ax88 from Merlin 384 to Merlin 386 (skipped all the alphas and betas), my network came crashing down. Now, I totally blame myself for being lazy - wanted to do that dirty upgrade - and I paid a price. Took almost two days to recover, and of course in the middle of all that, every unit got a full factory reset. Nice thing was, I discovered other problems along the way as I slowly rebuilt the network, and at the end of the day everything is on the 396 code base (ax88 using Merlin 386.1 - AC88, Ac1750 using latest Asus 386_41994), and things are working better than they have in months. Bringing up the aimesh was frustrating. I just don't understand why Asus can't implement a better search system, but hey, patience wins the battle. I also took the plunge and replaced diversion and skynet, which I really liked, with two raspberry pi's runing pihole (primary/backup) while leaving the dhcp to the router. The aimesh works better tha it ever did in the past. My significant other was NOT happy for a couple of days, and I was sweating, but it was worth it. Bottom line - DO THE FACTORY RESET.

Running the alpha codes here on both ax88U, Aimesh also(hard wired) and a raspberry pi(Adguard)
I can say running pretty smooth with Guest running on 1. With YazFi running
I'll end up leaving this running for about a week, see how this are, But its been 21 hours so far, without a hiccup

Just want to report that using firmware 386.1 on the "main" node (RT-AX88U) and the the "remote" node (RT-AX86U) caused issues again. This time, the "remote" node didn't get a connectivity red light but was just seen as OFFLINE. Thinking it was a range issue, I disconnected it to bring it close to the "main" node but that didn't change anything. I reset the "remote" node (RT-AX86U) to factory settings and using the CONNECTED method, add it again as a node. I noticed that the 5G signal was very low (1 bar). I then decided to flash ASUS latest firmware (FW_RT_AX86U_300438641535) on my RT-AX86U. I immediately saw the signal improve but that probably doesn't mean the issue is resolved. I will leave it this way for a while to see what happens.

Next thing I'll do if this fails is go back to firmware 384.19 for my main node (RT-AX88U) and Asus's October 2020 fw for my remote node (RT-AX86U) which worked well and wait until these issues get resolved in a future FW (i.e. ASUS needs to sort this out)

This time, the "remote" node didn't get a connectivity red light but was just seen as OFFLINE. I noticed that the 5G signal was very low (1 bar).
How long did you wait before you check you not have connection? It can takes ~5min to get signal. Patience is the word.....

How long did you wait before you check you not have connection? It can takes ~5min to get signal. Patience is the word.....
More than 5 minutes passed as I needed to log to my workstation, login to the admin page, trying to see what was going on. Then I moved it downstairs to see if proximity would help. Since when did it lose connection that I have no clue.

When setting up the AI node I always use an ethernet connection between the main router and nodes. Setting it up this way is much faster and after everything runs, I move the node to its intended location. The node will then atomically configure it for the best connection to the main router.

When setting up the AI node I always use an ethernet connection between the main router and nodes. Setting it up this way is much faster and after everything runs, I move the node to its intended location. The node will then atomically configure it for the best connection to the main router.
That is what I have done, using an ethernet connection.

Does updating the main router to 386.1 on mesh system also update the nodes? Or do I need to update each one individually.

Just another data point for this topic. I had weird issues with my mesh network after upgrading to 386.1 after running rock solid for a long time on prior releases. A major difference here was that with this release both the main router and my mesh node were running 386.1 whereas before the node was always stock.

I went back to stock on the mesh node over a week ago and have been rock solid ever since...

AC86U main
AC68U node

I too have experienced issues with AiMesh on 386.1_2. I plan to install an AX88U as the primary router and two AX86U as the nodes at a site I support. The AX88U has not arrived yet. So I decided to test the AiMesh setup by pairing the two nodes to my AC88U router using 386.1_2. I first unboxed the two AX86U and updated the firmware to 386.1_2. I factory reset one of the AX86U after the upgrade and was able to pair the node to the AC88U. However, pairing the second AX86U did not work after factory reset despite numerous attempts.

1613261402606.png

I then installed stock Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version on the AX86U that can't connect. I still get the message above when trying to pair. I then downgraded the primary router to 384.19 and was finally able to pair the node. That is as far as I have gotten right now due to time limits. Not sure I will play around with the AC88U much right now as that is not the final setup. Will probably pick things up again after the AX88U arrives.

I tried the latest 386.1_2 on both my main (RT-AX88U) and remote mesh node RT-AX86U and I disconnects from the RT-AX86U. I decided to install 384.19 on my main router and ASUS's October 2020 firmware on my RT-AX86U and I have not had any disconnects. That is using AIMESH 1.0. So I will stick with that for a while as it is stable again until AIMESH 2.0 gets sorted out.

I feel your pain. The aimesh search function is abysmal. Best luck I've had is:
1. Do a factory reset on your mesh unit and set it next to the main router..
2. Power on the mesh unit and wait (10/15 minutes or so)
7. Login to the main router and do the Aimesh search
The mesh unit should now pop-up in the search (this is all wifi - no luck with an ethernet link). Click on the search block announcing the unit and wait while it configures. Waiting is key. Read the paper, get some coffee. Come back in half an hour, should show as connected. Power down the mesh unit down and move it to the desired location. Cross your fingers, and wait another 20 minutes for it to go online. Once online you can configure the mesh unit for ethernet backhaul, etc. It's all about waiting, waiting, waiting. Feel the turtle, be the turtle.

I too have experienced issues with AiMesh on 386.1_2. I plan to install an AX88U as the primary router and two AX86U as the nodes at a site I support. The AX88U has not arrived yet. So I decided to test the AiMesh setup by pairing the two nodes to my AC88U router using 386.1_2. I first unboxed the two AX86U and updated the firmware to 386.1_2. I factory reset one of the AX86U after the upgrade and was able to pair the node to the AC88U. However, pairing the second AX86U did not work after factory reset despite numerous attempts.

View attachment 30722

I then installed stock Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version on the AX86U that can't connect. I still get the message above when trying to pair. I then downgraded the primary router to 384.19 and was finally able to pair the node. That is as far as I have gotten right now due to time limits. Not sure I will play around with the AC88U much right now as that is not the final setup. Will probably pick things up again after the AX88U arrives.
Sometime when try to par your mesh, Wireless-WPS on main router is not turned on. Have to turn it on manually and then it's usually working to connect node(s).

Last edited:
I tried that but for me it never works. The only solution right now is to go back to AIMESH 1.0 using 384.19 with ASUS's October 2020 firmware on my remote node.

I got the AX88U last week and flashed 386.1_2. I had issues pairing with the two AX86U units though. I believe the issue is the AiMesh units were too close to the main router when pairing. Some posts suggested placing the AiMesh unit next to the main router when pairing. So that is what I did but could never get it to work. Pairing was successful once I moved the AiMesh unit one meter from the main router. I used stock Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version on the AiMesh units.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!