What's new

Possible to run Full Tor on 2.4ghz but not 5ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CUHK

New Around Here
Hi, I was wondering is it possible to route all devices that connected to 2.4ghz to proxy through tor or other vpns instead of manually selecting the device or route all the network on routers through tor.

ETC...
2.4 ghz = tor network
5 ghz = WAN

The router I'm currently using is asus ac68u

Hi, I was wondering is it possible to route all devices that connected to 2.4ghz to proxy through tor or other vpns instead of manually selecting the device or route all the network on routers through tor.

ETC...
2.4 ghz = tor network
5 ghz = WAN

Im not sure, i would setup a guest network for 2.4ghz and have that guest network forcefully go through VPN/Tor. I have not tested this with Tor though, only OpenVPN.

The wireless network adapters (2.4GHz and 5GHz) are assigned, along w/ the LAN ports, to the default bridge (br0). As such, they are purposely treated the same, as one logical network interface. IOW, by definition, any distinction between wired vs. wireless (or one wireless freq vs. another) is LOST.

This is the problem w/ router firmware that doesn't natively support user-defined VLANs and bridges. You're stuck w/ whatever the OEM/developer has configured by default. Even in the case of the guest networks, you typically has to rely on something like YazFi to create some sort of separation based on assigned IP network, which you can then use in your policy routing (at least w/ the OpenVPN client). But the default private network remains problematic.

ETC...
2.4 ghz = tor network
5 ghz = WAN

You can if you set it up manually your self using transparent proxy firewall rules @garycnew is one of the foremost experts on proxies around here. I have also had some fun with tor transparent proxing on an RPI, but I have never messed with doing such on the router. As @eibgrad has elluded to, your wireless network is bridged to br0, however you could download YazFi and route a single guest network through tor using transparent proxy firewall rules.

Yaz-Fi creates independent interfaces for each guestnetwork. You would just simply use firewallrule to direct the specific wireless networks interface traffic through tor. Kinda similar to how @Jack Yaz has it setup to go through VPN in the GUI.

ETC...
2.4 ghz = tor network
5 ghz = WAN

Here is a page (or a guide if you will) that might be of interest to you....

Here is a link I shared in that same thread that talks about tor transparent proxy

Thanks guys. It sounds a lot complicated. I guess it's easier for me to get a separate router and do the full tor stuff on it. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!