What's new

Post reboot - unable to ping devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Riptide

Regular Contributor
I have an asus gt-axe16000 router but I have seen this sort of behavior before with older model asus routers.

I have a couple devices for example, ipollo ethereum miners, that are dhcp and are able to get an IP address without any issues. They are connected to a netgear 8 port switch and that switch is connected to the router. After I restart the devices they are no longer reachable. I cannot ping them from my PC nor can I ping them from the router's tools page. If I check the client list on the router they still show up there with the same IP they had before but there is a - for the tx/rx box.

Seem offline right? Well, they aren't. They are transmitting shares to the mining pool and are communicating just fine over the internet.

I have been unable to figure out what the reason for this behavior might be. They seem to drop off the LAN. I'm stumped. Weirder yet, if they sit long enough (as in hours) eventually I'm able to ping them again.

Thoughts? Thanks

I have an asus gt-axe16000 router but I have seen this sort of behavior before with older model asus routers.

I have a couple devices for example, ipollo ethereum miners, that are dhcp and are able to get an IP address without any issues. They are connected to a netgear 8 port switch and that switch is connected to the router. After I restart the devices they are no longer reachable. I cannot ping them from my PC nor can I ping them from the router's tools page. If I check the client list on the router they still show up there with the same IP they had before but there is a - for the tx/rx box.

Seem offline right? Well, they aren't. They are transmitting shares to the mining pool and are communicating just fine over the internet.

I have been unable to figure out what the reason for this behavior might be. They seem to drop off the LAN. I'm stumped. Weirder yet, if they sit long enough (as in hours) eventually I'm able to ping them again.

Thoughts? Thanks

If they are working hard mining (catching up on stuff after reboot) they may just be prioritizing that above ping. Are they all the same type of devices or different?

TX/RX will always have - for wired devices. That is only used for wireless. Ping between LAN devices does not go through the router, just the switch(es).

They are working if they are getting an IP and able to communicate so it seems like something specific to ICMP.

When I've seen this behavior before it's also affected RDP to devices on the LAN so it isn't specific to these types of devices per se.

The issue goes beyond just ping. I can't reach the web interface on the affected devices either.

When I've seen this behavior before it's also affected RDP to devices on the LAN so it isn't specific to these types of devices per se.

The issue goes beyond just ping. I can't reach the web interface on the affected devices either.

Is it all via the 8 port switch? Is it a dumb switch or smart? If smart make sure there are no QOS settings etc impacting it. 2 devices connected via a a switch in the same subnet will talk direct and the router has no involvement (other than giving them an IP). Does the issue all exist from the same PC? If so I would look at the PC, maybe issues with ARP tables etc. Or maybe your ping is trying to use v6 but not everything supports it correctly?

The 8 port switch that the devices are connected to is an 8 port netgear GS308 unmanaged switch. And yeah the devices I'm trying to reach are hooked up to it. The switch is hooked up to the router. All ethernet.

I've tried reaching the devices from my phone web browser for example which is on wifi and am also unable to reach them.

As of this AM, they are still working to communicate on the internet as I can see shares being accepted by the mining pool, but am unable to ping on the LAN. They also still show up in the client list on the router.

I updated the firmware with the latest merlin and rebooted the router. After doing so, I can see these devices and reach them now, but they have new IPs assigned.

So the question is did they just get this new IP? Or did they get the new IP yesterday when I rebooted them but the client list on the router didn't properly refresh to show me that data?

I updated the firmware with the latest merlin and rebooted the router. After doing so, I can see these devices and reach them now, but they have new IPs assigned.

So the question is did they just get this new IP? Or did they get the new IP yesterday when I rebooted them but the client list on the router didn't properly refresh to show me that data?

Never rely on client list (while it typically is accurate, there have been bugs and glitches for years). It does seem pretty stable on 386 code base for me, but DHCP leases is the only thing you can consider accurate. If you want those devices to stay consistent you can assign them manual DHCP bindings and then ping them by the hostname you assign so you know you're hitting the right thing.

When you said LAN I assumed you meant wired LAN. Wireless to wired, while the same subnet, does pass through a lot more than the switch. So it could be any number of things that were interfering. You sure your phone wasn't connected to a guest wireless or trying to go out your cellular connection etc?

Is there a way to examine or list the current leases if not in the client list?

Unfortunately the devices are dhcp only and won't allow me to assign manual stack configs.

As for the phone, it was on WiFi 2.4ghz, and was working otherwise. Typically I can get to my LAN devices from the phone web browser. So shouldn't have been going out to cellular, guest network (which is not setup), etc..

Is there a way to examine or list the current leases if not in the client list?

Unfortunately the devices are dhcp only and won't allow me to assign manual stack configs.

As for the phone, it was on WiFi 2.4ghz, and was working otherwise. Typically I can get to my LAN devices from the phone web browser. So shouldn't have been going out to cellular, guest network (which is not setup), etc..

System Log -> DHCP leases shows the current leases.

I wasn't suggesting to set static IPs on the devices, that's not a good idea. In the asus under LAN DHCP you set a static reservation so it always gives the devices the same IP and you can also set whatever hostname you want for them that way.