What's new

Power outage strangeness

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lhurt5

New Around Here
Running Merlin 388.1 on RT-AX88U and had a brief (less than a minute) power outage, brief power on, then a another short outage. Power finally restored but all VPN Director rules had been erased as was VPN Cert and Static keys and DHCP manual IP settings. Is this normal?

Running Merlin 388.1 on RT-AX88U and had a brief (less than a minute) power outage, brief power on, then a another short outage. Power finally restored but all VPN Director rules had been erased as was VPN Cert and Static keys and DHCP manual IP settings. Is this normal?

I would do a factory reset and start from scratch. When the power came back on, your router was reading and writing from storage, when power failed again, some of that data was lost or corrupted. Make sure to format JFFS after factory reset.

Look at a cheap UPS for your router, doesn't need much capacity, can put your modem and other stuff on it too.

Look at a cheap UPS for your router, doesn't need much capacity, can put your modem and other stuff on it too.
^^this

Definitely a best practice to prevent any blips or outages even when everything else goes out... Router, modem, VoIP router, media server, external drives... you name it, they are plugged into a beefy UPS on my end that will go a good hour before going down.

I would do a factory reset and start from scratch. When the power came back on, your router was reading and writing from storage, when power failed again, some of that data was lost or corrupted. Make sure to format JFFS after factory reset.

Especially if you also have a NAS then you cannot run all that expensive hardware without one.

^^this

Definitely a best practice to prevent any blips or outages even when everything else goes out... Router, modem, VoIP router, media server, external drives... you name it, they are plugged into a beefy UPS on my end that will go a good hour before going down.

I have a 20+ year old APC Smart UPS (true sine wave) that everything runs off. Still going strong, have replaced the batteries a few times. Can get a few hours if I don't have my desktop running which I usually don't. Around here, Verizon will not replace the battery in their ONT saying it is your responsibility (plus it only backs up internet for 2 minutes, it is primarily for phone which I don't have) so I ran a protected outlet to that off the main UPS too.

Luckily we don't have many power outages but it is always fun to see mine as the only SSID when it does happen.

The LiFePo4 based battery banks from Anker and Ecoflow (and several other less reliable brands) look very promising (true sine wave, good capacity, etc) but only the really expensive ones run in UPS/Line interactive mode (and the switchover is a bit slower than most UPSes). Hopefully those come down in price and they start adding a UPS mode to others along with faster switchover times. While you can use them all as a UPS in an "online" mode, the constant drain/charge of the batteries will wear them out pretty quick and they aren't replaceable.

Its funny in the case of a SLA style UPS, an Online UPS is highly desirable and only available in the high end expensive units, it constantly provides nice clean power, but SLA batteries can run in that mode for years, Lithium don't like it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!