What's new

Powerline 1200 adapter connection issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marczol

Occasional Visitor
I am utilizing 3 Powerline 1200 plug in adapters with my ASUS mesh system 3 RT-AC68U routers with Starlink internet. My main router connected to Starlink is connected to my main mesh router via cat 6 cable and Powerline plug is connected to the main mesh router via cat 6 cable . I have 2 additional Powerline plugs for a desktop iMac and HP laptop the Powerline adapters leds are all green but, I cannot connect to internet both devices show “self assigned ip addresses” Wi-Fi connection works without an issue. My TV and Roku ultra connected are connected directly to main mesh router via cat 6 cable no issues have internet connection.

Not sure if, a router configuration has to be changed? I have tried setting up the manual IP address for each device and it will show connected on the device with the correct ip address but, no internet connection. Switch to Wi-Fi and no issues.

Check to see if your Powerline adapters have energy saver/sleep mode settings...

I believe it does but, all three lights are green on all three powerline devices but, the network light does not flash when connected to the laptop or iMac desktop.

Which vendor is the homeplugs?

In any case, the Mesh point connections might be better over WiFi to be honest...

I don’t disagree. Does not make sense that they don’t work ? I am sure I am missing something easy that is causing it.

factory reset each of the powerline adapters
If you were using the security feature and it wasn;t done correctly, there will be no network communication. Factory reset will reset that and then look to see that all three are back up with 3 green lights. Check the network connection. then set the security if you want it.

the network green light only indicates an ethernet cable is plugged in to an active devise. It will not be on or will be red if not connected to an active device.

the powerline adapters are transparent to the rest of the network so no issue on the ASUS or other device side of things.
The powerline adapters either work or they dont.

Have these ever worked ?

Are they plugged directly into the wall outlet ?
No plug bars should be used as active filtering (surge arrest) that is common on plug bars will interfere .

If they have never worked, plug two into adjacent outlets and see if that works. Or if you have a plug bar with no filtering, you can use that. If two work, then try adding the third. If that works, then the issue is likely from crossing phases in the house breaker box or there are arc fault breakers installed. These generally prevent powerline from working. You would have to use something like MOCA if you have coax available in the wall.

Last edited:
I did reset all the plugs and they are plugged directly into the outlets not power strips. They have worked previously as recently as a few weeks ago I just moved my iMac to where my work laptop(HP) was located using the same plug and outlet with no issues. The iMac is will not connect via ethernet I have manually assigned the ip address it shows connected in network preferences on the Mac but, no internet it does not recognize the router. I have rebooted everything after every change with no luck. I did get the HP laptop to work after resetting the Netgear plugs and I have no issue connecting to Wi-Fi with either machine and the devices I have directly plugged into the router work without issue.

it could be the Netgear plug just odd unplugging one machine and plugging in another it stops working the plugs are less than 3 months old.

try a known good , currently working ethernet cable. Possible cable flaw or male connector issue or receptacle issue. If you moved one of the adapters it is possible that the new outlet is on a different phase of the breaker box. The other thing to look at is just getting one pair (leave 3rd not plugged into wall) working and moving them to the two locations for testing.

i am not completely clear on what you had before that was working and then what you changed. A before and after sketch showing changes to cabling, changes in location of powerline adapters, changes in location of pc devices would be helpful.

Late to the party, but I believe you said these were Netgear adapters--apparently there's a particular model of Netgear adapters that won't work beyond 3 and will exhibit the same type of issues you're having once you add more than 3. There's a thread on the netgear community about it--that's how I found out about this strange issue that has no solution atm.

Thanks for the information. I do only have 3 adapters active including the adapter attached to the router. I just did a factory reset on the main router RT-AC68U to clear the NVRAM and the adapters are working properly now not sure if, it was the NVRAM causing the issue or maybe the router was overdue for the factory reset.