What's new

Powerline networking before router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psiegumfeldt

New Around Here
My telephone plug that I need to plug plug my ADSL modem into is in another room than where I need my network speed. I was thinking if it is possible to extend my network before my router or perhaps before the modem?

I have a media center that pulls my movies and music from my NAS (netgear N-wireless router with an attached usb harddrive). This setup is where the speed requirement is highest in my setup and I would like to have wired connection and therefore place them close. In the same room are most of the wireless clients and therefore makes sense to have the wireless router there as well. Therefore I would prefer to extend my network before the router as I do not need the network in the room where the phone plug is. And I would prefer not to have to buy another router to place with the modem and extend my network via the power lines after that, also for power consumption reasons. Furthermore my internet connection is 10 Mbit which lowers the requirements on the powerline connection as it then only has to live up to that speed and does not have to carry HD movies streams.

Ok that was quite a long description I hope did not fall asleep reading it and can help me :)

There is no problem with using the powerline gear before the router, but you cannot use it before the modem...:)

This should work fine:

Wall - Modem - powerline --------------- powerline - router - the clients

Should work fine. Be sure to get HomePlug AV adapters and watch out for AFCI breakers and noise sources.

Thanks for both replies.

@thiggins what does it mean that it needs to HomePlug AV adapters? I am actually lookning at Netgear HomePlug AV adapters but I thought it was just a name. Is HomePlug AV adapters a category of powerline network adapters? And what is the difference to other power line adaptors?

Powerline before Livebox

I have a similar question. We have internet coming in through the phone socket with ADSL filter. It then goes to a Livebox and is wireless thereafter. I want to move the Livebox upstairs without recabling the phone lines. Can I plug the ADSL cable direct into a Powerline socket and then connect it to the Livebox at the other end. This would allow me to move the Livebox to our office and then have a wired connection to desktop and other equipment in that room. Does that make sense? Bascially, is it possible to use Powerline before a connection to a Livebox (is a Livebox a router or modem)? If not, is there another way to do this other than moving phone lines. I basically want to remove the need for having any internet equipment (other than ADSL filter and cable) where the phone socket is.

No. Power line is used as an Ethernet extender /replacement. You can leave the Livebox where it is and connect power line to one of its LAN ports. Buy a.power line kit with a multiples adapter if you need more than one Ethernet port at the remote end.

I am using a Netgear powerline with modem in another room. Then upstairs I ran another powerline from the modem only (enternet) port. I tested with/without the speed is the same. But I did noticed higher latency.