What's new

Powerline or MoCA in abnormal home network arrangement?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shockwave538

New Around Here
Hello, maybe you guys can help me. I get internet via a rural wireless provider. The limits where I can put my "modem" ( actually an antenna, https://www.ui.com/airmax/nanostationm) to the front window upstairs in my house. It is currently in my attic and connected there to my my wifi router (Netgear 1750). Everything in my house currently has to run on wifi with this arrangement. There is one part of my house downstairs where the wifi is a little weak and occasionally devices can't connect reliably (though I can walk completely around the outside and connect easily). The house has no ethernet wiring, but the original owner paid for a plethora of extra power outlets, and have TV in several rooms.

I would like to move my router downstairs, preferably at my computer desk. This will allow me to easily use its printer and file storage sharing features, but more importantly put the wifi signal more central in the house. I would also like to get major components connected via wire (computer, PS3, TV, etc) to reduce wifi interference issues. Without running ethernet wiring (which isn't practical for various reasons), it seems my best bet is to use powerline adapters.

My first thought was to use powerline adapters (PLA) to remotely connect my router to my modem. Then I realized that I'd need another set to connect devices downstream of the router. I know you can have multiple powerline networks configured to run on the same building wiring, but this will reduce overall throughput capacity, especially if streaming on one device and playing saved media via LAN on another device. This option would put all the network parts in their ideal locations though.

An alternative is to leave the router where it is, and have one outlet from it go to the powerline network that all other items connect through. If I do this, I need an extra switch to replace the router at my computer. I will also need to boost the wifi in my dead zone downstairs.

In the midst of writing this and looking something up, I discovered MoCA adapters. I could use this with my first option to connect my modem to the router, but the router will no be near my computer due to lack of cable outlet. It would at least be easier to access downstairs, and would fix my weak wifi problem. I can then use powerline to connect everything downstream of my router.

Requirements:
-Currently get 5-15Mbps internet, but system is being upgraded soon and will be at least 30 Mbps, possibly 50+
-I plan on setting up media sharing between devices, up to 1080 video, so that will probably dictate minimum throughput rates needed
-Modem must stay upstairs, but can be relocated near unused cable outlet
-There is no cable outlet near my computer desk
-Need to connect 3+ devices at my computer desk. Having the router at the desk makes this easier, as it provides extra ports for sharing storage devices and printers via USB.
-Need to connect 3+ devices at my TV stand
-If wifi router stays upstairs, I need something to boost/extend the signal downstairs.
-Would really like the router to come downstairs. Attic gets pretty hot in the summer, and the cold winters cause it to need an occasional reboot. Very annoying when doing work VPN on occasion during a remote meeting.
-I will likely add more devices/adapters later, but that can be easily added on to whatever I do now.
-I know I can use multi-outlet PLAs or MoCA adapters, but I prefer to use single outlet devices that are cheaper and have more variety available, and connect to and inexpensive switch sized for that location. I want 3-4 outlets at the computer, and 4 at the TV, because I will probably be adding items.

Other info:
-House built in 2004. Wiring's in good condition. I can work around any surge protectors in place.
-I have a separate 200A feed supplying the breaker panel with most large loads (water pump, A/C, spa, etc), but it is still tied to the feed for the other breaker panel (including all standard outlets) upstream of that. Not sure if this would help powerline performance.
-I use DirecTV whole home service in the downstairs rooms.

What do you think the best option is, factoring in my stated requirements and limitations?I'm definitely literate in a bit of this, but very far from an expert. I'm leaning toward my first option (second drawn), either with PLAs or MoCA coming out of the modem. Are there any other pros/cons/limitations/options I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance!

Network Drawing.jpg

The PLA seems like it is worth a try given that you indicate that you don't have coax in all the locations where you want connectivity. Buy the PLA adapters where you can return them if they don't work in your home.

Depending on what your expectations are for network speeds five Port 100Mbps switches are approx US $25 - and gig capable ones can be had for $35 or so.

If you have any old routers they can be repurposed into either APs or switches or both. It may not be the best solution to buy an all in one PLA adapter/WiFi AP.

It isn't clear how many Ethernet ports you need at each location. You may be able to find PLA adapters with more than one Ethernet port eliminating the need for two switches.

As with all network equipment when purchasing PLA adapters assume that you might get half the speed advertised. Even if the Internet speed provided by your ISP in under 100Mbps you might want/need higher speeds on your LAN if you plan to add a NAS unit for backups or media streaming.

I use 2 PowerLine AV2 2000 Gigabit Passthrough Starter Kits (4 PLA's) in a smaller home and they do not provide anywhere close to 'gigabyte' speeds. Even when using just 2 of them at short distances (adjacent rooms).

What I use them for is an AP (ISP 300/300), printer, TV and AVR (I can control the AVR over ethernet). For actual (heavy) network loads? I wouldn't recommend them. When I briefly had a computer connected to a pair, transferring files to the NAS was around 1/4 to 1/3 the speed of a wired LAN connection.

For your environment, I can easily recommend them for the modem-router WAN link. As long as they work in your wiring setup, of course.

Is running a single Ethernet cable between your office/router and a switch in the media center room, really not an option? If it is a possibility, that would make your setup much more recommendable, enjoyable and perform much better too.

Have you considered other options? Is there a room where your computer/office can be moved that is adjacent to the media center room? That would make the LAN run considerably easier (just punch a hole between the walls). Also, consider the 'flat' LAN cable that is available. It can be run under the carpet.

I guess my main point is not to rely upon/believe too much in what the PLA's can offer. While a good pair (buy the best you can afford) will give you a good and even great internet connection (even at almost 10x your expected speeds), for the current and future devices like you're hinting at, you'll be disappointed sooner, rather than later with them.

As for MoCA? I have no experience there. But the spec's I've read here do not make me want to look at it further either.

I use DirecTV whole home service in the downstairs rooms.
It's my understanding that DirecTV's whole home solution uses MoCA to network their boxes via coax, so you likely already have a MoCA network (albeit Band E) present in your home. I'd recommend expanding your assessment to include your DirecTV-connected coax lines, and report the model information for your current DTV hardware and details on how it's networked.

p.s. Another variant that's a mix of your proposed options would be to keep the modem and a router upstairs, but disable the router's wireless function ... and then use Powerline to connect to your Netgear 1750 -- configured in Access Point mode -- in your downstairs location. The difference being that you wouldn't need separate Powerline "WAN" and "LAN" networks to get a wireless signal more central in the home.

Last edited:
p.s. Another variant that's a mix of your proposed options would be to keep the modem and a router upstairs, but disable the router's wireless function ... and then use Powerline to connect to your Netgear 1750 -- configured in Access Point mode -- in your downstairs location. The difference being that you wouldn't need separate Powerline "WAN" and "LAN" networks to get a wireless signal more central in the home.

I do have an older Linksys router that this would work for, as it would be near worthless for WiFi today but does have multiple ports. Might be best. Would the router likely act as a hub or a switch?

I do have an older Linksys router that this would work for, as it would be near worthless for WiFi today but does have multiple ports. Might be best. Would the router likely act as a hub or a switch?
If you're talking about Option 1 1/2, then that Linksys would be upstairs with the modem, so it's WAN/Internet Ethernet port would connect to the modem and a single Ethernet LAN port would connect to the Powerline adapter. Right?

Wireless on the Linksys would be disabled, but all other router functions remaining active.

It's my understanding that DirecTV's whole home solution uses MoCA to network their boxes via coax, so you likely already have a MoCA network (albeit Band E) present in your home. I'd recommend expanding your assessment to include your DirecTV-connected coax lines, and report the model information for your current DTV hardware and details on how it's networked.
Any feedback on the DirecTV front?

I’ve decided to go with my old router upstairs connected to the modem and it’s wifi disabled. I’ll use Powerline to take its output to my main router downstairs at my computer. There may be one feasible way to run a line from there to my TV. If not, then I’ll just go with a second set of PLAs. Decided MoCA won’t be the best for me, so I didn’t look any deeper into it. Won’t have any update on results until I get home in March and set it all up.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Couldn’t find my old router, just the cable modem. Instead, I just connected the antenna output to the PLA and then then WAN input on my router downstairs. Not really sure why I wanted to put a router upstream of the PLA so much, as this should be a pretty secure setup (PLAs were properly encrypted and paired).

I’m now getting strong WiFi to everywhere I want it, and a more reliable connection to my computer station. An added bonus is that I forgot about the Netgear ReadyShare feature on my router, so I can now plug in my external drive to it and easily backup both my desktop and laptop through that.

I will pursue trying to get Ethernet run to the TV area as time allows, but right now I’m working 72hr weeks so it’s lower priority. Thanks for the hell so far.

Couldn’t find my old router, just the cable modem. Instead, I just connected the antenna output to the PLA and then then WAN input on my router downstairs. Not really sure why I wanted to put a router upstream of the PLA so much, as this should be a pretty secure setup (PLAs were properly encrypted and paired).

I’m now getting strong WiFi to everywhere I want it, and a more reliable connection to my computer station. An added bonus is that I forgot about the Netgear ReadyShare feature on my router, so I can now plug in my external drive to it and easily backup both my desktop and laptop through that.

I will pursue trying to get Ethernet run to the TV area as time allows, but right now I’m working 72hr weeks so it’s lower priority. Thanks for the hell so far.

You're welcome and glad to see it working for you.

We like to give new users as much hell help! as we can! :eek: :D:D:D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!