What's new

Powerline throughput question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I understand you correctly the other end of the black cable goes to your cable modem? You've plugged this end of the black cable into a PC and the speed test shows 355Mbps? Moving the black cable from the PC to the powerline adapter as shown in your picture and connecting the blue cable straight into your PC, you get 155Mbps. Correct?

If so, it sounds like there is something very wrong with your mains wiring (in terms of interference), or that orange cube. You should be getting over 300Mbps.

Yes, you are correct. I should have made this more clear in my post. I'm not sure if I have another cube tap hanging around. If I do, I will try this again.

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but did you or anyone else ever find a resolution?

I'm using exactly the same devices and cant get over 70mb either.

I don't think we have AFCI in the UK, but the section here seems to describe my issue: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/bas...69-how-to-troubleshoot-your-powerline-network

I'm in a brand new house (3 month old) so suspect that it could be to do with the wiring or breakers etc, but unsure.

If I connect a computer directly to the router I can get 200mb/s, if I go through the powerline which is connected into the same outlet as the other one, then I drop to 70mb/s. This is the consistent action what happens, its totally repeatable.

I've even turned off everything else in the house and nothing changes!?

I've seen powerlines behave this way before, and when they do, it's going to be next to impossible to figure out why.

I had a set that normally get 50Mbps+ in almost any scenario get 15Mbs on two sides of the same wall in my new apartment. Had no idea why, but that can happen with powerline. Luckily I have cat5 in every room, but was thinking of using the powerlines as a second ethernet port--so much for that.