What's new

PPPOA wireless Gigabit router or switch???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Morten Bech

New Around Here
I have decided to by the Synology 209+ based on the review here. But my current router is only 100mbit and this will not take advantage of the 209+'s speed.
Our interconnection is free, paied by my wifes work (4/1 mbit).So i would like to find at wireless router with 4 gigabit connections, but tricky part is. . . . it needs to be a ADSL og ADSL2+, ATM interface and support PPPoA. Does such excist??

Second option could be to connect at wireless giga switch, but haven found one. Can't find one:confused:

Third option connect giga switch to router, wireless access point to switch. Don't know if it would work. And the power bills in Denmark are not cheap, so i would very much like to run as few components as possible. Aprox. 33 cents per kw/h and driving to get the components 5 bucks per gallon:p

I amm bit of a noob on this, hope somone can help.

Morten

Adding a switch may not increase power consumption as much as you would expect. I measured my DGS-2208 gigabit switch at 3-4W, which at your rate works out to (31 days x 24 hours x 4 W/1000 x 33 cents) 98 cents a month.

Just get a switch that saves power and make sure you get what you need in ports. If you only have 4 devices a 5 port switch would do. Anything less like 2-3 ports again 5-ports with power saving features.

#4 seems like its only a PPPOE and does not support PPPOA, but I will look in to it. Thanks

Found out that the NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router WNR3500 (no modem build in) can be attached after my Zyxel router and will solve my issue. Searching for similar options.

Morten

If you check it might cover what you want, although it could depend on your region and the sub-version of the router.

ATM and PPP Protocols
• ATM Adaptation Layer Type 5 (AAL5)
• Multiple Protocol over AAL5 (RFC 2684, formerly RFC 1483)
• Bridged or routed Ethernet encapsulation
• VC and LLC based multiplexing
• PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
• PPP over ATM (RFC 2364)
• Classical IP over ATM (RFC 1577)
• MAC Encapsulated Routing (RFC 1483 MER)
• OAM F4 / F5

Although your other option would most probably be cheaper . . .

It appers i just have to by a ex. DIR-655 and connect it to my Zyxell 660D1 (modem/router)........ hehehe.

Think I have to by a book.... network for noobs.:eek:

Thanks for the inputs

Morten.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!