What's new

Pre-Installation Questions - Schedules, Kids, DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SoonerLater

New Around Here
I've read on https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ and the wiki, but haven't found answers to these questions:

1. Can you setup complex schedules for (a) internet access and (b) LAN access on a per-device basis? By complex, I mean that you can have different start/end times for different days of the week - and you can have a schedule which begins on one day, and ends on another. For my teenagers, I'd allow internet access from 6:00a to 11:00p Sun - Thu, and 6:00a to 12:30a (the next day) Fri and Sat. Linksys, consumer-Cisco, etc., can't do that. For my adolescents, I'd use a different schedule. And I'd let all of them access LAN resources (e.g. printers, central library, etc.) on a different schedule.

2. I've read that you can put different devices (kids) on different DNS-filtering settings, but can you also schedule the DNS-filtering? And schedule on a per-device basis? For example, perhaps I want to let the kids access YouTube, but not after 9:00p. Is that sort of control possible?

3. I've looked for, but can't find information about the logging that MerlinWRT can do. I'm sure that it can log, I just can't find where that's documented. Can you setup logging for specific devices? Can you write that log to storage on the LAN?

4. Given the layout of my home, my router goes in a closet in the garage where all LAN network cables terminate. I don't need any WiFi coverage in that area. Over the years, sometimes I've used a straight-up wired router (which, apparently, ASUS does not make) or I've used a wireless router and disabled the wireless capability (so that it simply operates as a wired router). Do you see any issues with using an ASUS router with MerlinWRT in wired-only mode? I would guess not, but have to ask. Also, in light of the above, is there any reason to buy anything better than the RT-AC56R (which seems to be the cheapest ASUS that MerlinWRT supports)?

I realize that I could just install this and see for myself, but I don't own an ASUS router. I'd rather not buy one just to test-drive router firmware.

Thank you for your time and patience.

1,2: Not through the webui. Scheduling is identical to the stock firmware's. You'd have to manually do it using scripts.

3: Logging of what? If you mean the amount of traffic, yes, IPTraffic does that. If you mean a list of accessessed sites, then no more than what Asus's Web History already offers.

4: You can keep wifi disabled, just as with the stock firmware.

Models with a faster CPU would only be useful if you intend to do USB file sharing, use OpenVPN, or have a very fast Internet connection (500 Mbps and above).