What's new

Preferred thumbdrive for scripts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not that one, I think, since you either stripe the disks or they are presented separately. I'm not sure if you can saturate the USB connection with that setup, and there is zero redundancy.

He had Raid5 5.5TB which implies 4 2TB disks. I sorta get using that connected to a workstation for video editing or database use. I just don't get the use case of spending $350 on drives, and $150 for a 4bay USB raid box, and then plugging it into a router. For that amount of money you can get a real NAS setup with snapshotting, replicating, remote backup, cloud services and plex server with transcoding. Along the way, you can certainly saturate the 1gbps ethernet in both directions.

When I had a 4TB drive connected to my 87U, I could get up to 550mpbs read speeds over the network. From my NAS I can get over 900 both ways with 4 drives (mirrored as 2).

Way off topic, I know. Still think USB2 with a normal form factor is the way to go for a router stick.

Not that one, I think, since you either stripe the disks or they are presented separately. I'm not sure if you can saturate the USB connection with that setup, and there is zero redundancy.

He had Raid5 5.5TB which implies 4 2TB disks. I sorta get using that connected to a workstation for video editing or database use. I just don't get the use case of spending $350 on drives, and $150 for a 4bay USB raid box, and then plugging it into a router. For that amount of money you can get a real NAS setup with snapshotting, replicating, remote backup, cloud services and plex server with transcoding. Along the way, you can certainly saturate the 1gbps ethernet in both directions.
Yeah, my bad, forgot the raid 5 thing, but still quite available: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071X9XY16/?tag=snbforums-20
When I had a 4TB drive connected to my 87U, I could get up to 550mpbs read speeds over the network. From my NAS I can get over 900 both ways with 4 drives (mirrored as 2).

Way off topic, I know. Still think USB2 with a normal form factor is the way to go for a router stick.
To each his own.

Wait, what? o_O Piqued my curiosity.
It's an original Drobo I got in ~2013, plus 4x Seagate 2TB drives we bought the day of the huge floods in Thailand, so $69/ea. As you guys have deduced, it doesn't see a huge load; mainly just a combined storage location for the various machines in the house.

amtm, Diversion and Skynet use the same method to create, manage and delete a swap file. It does not matter with which script you create one, they all recognize and can manage it.
While all three of them (reluctantly for my two scripts) acknowledge the presence and size of a swap partition, they cannot be created nor managed trough them.
;) Werd. So you confirm that putting a /swap on the SSD is pointless; just let the script build a file. Since I'll have plenty of room... 2GB enough? Or should I do more? 4? 20?

I also like the idea of leaving a bunch of unpartitioned space so the drive can reallocate clusters as they fail over time.

Swap on USB is pointless for me. Windows USB RAM Boost pointless. Swap on SSD and USB 3.0 may do something.

Swap on USB is pointless for me. Windows USB RAM Boost pointless. Swap on SSD and USB 3.0 may do something.
I don’t think you get the point for why the swap space is needed on the router for some.

It's an original Drobo I got in ~2013, plus 4x Seagate 2TB drives we bought the day of the huge floods in Thailand, so $69/ea. As you guys have deduced, it doesn't see a huge load; mainly just a combined storage location for the various machines in the house.

;) Werd. So you confirm that putting a /swap on the SSD is pointless; just let the script build a file. Since I'll have plenty of room... 2GB enough? Or should I do more? 4? 20?

I also like the idea of leaving a bunch of unpartitioned space so the drive can reallocate clusters as they fail over time.
2GB is enough, and is the maximum amtm supports creating (last time I checked).