What's new

Print Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

margentieri

Occasional Visitor
Hello all, I'm new to the forums here and I have a question I am hoping one of you will be able to assist me with.

Currently, I have my ac68u set up downstairs, away from my desktop and printer, which are both located on the second floor. I am supplying an Internet connection to my desktop via a MoCA LAN bridge (I have FiOS Internet). This bridge has 2 avaliable ethernet ports, one of which ia currently being utilized by the desktop. My question: by utilizing a USB to RJ45 adapter and connecting my printer to the other avaliable ethernet port on the MoCA bridge (which ultimately communicates with the ac68u via another MoCA bridge downstairs that is connected to one of the ac68u's ethernet ports), would I be able to use the printer server features (ez printer sharing and LPR are both acceptable options)of the ac68u?

Basically, when it gets down to it, I guess I'm really asking if it's possible to use the printer server feature for a printer connected via one of the ethernet ports rather than one of the USB ports.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Yes, and i didn't see anything. I figured that if it is possible, I would have to do some manual reconfiguring to tell the system to look for the printer through one of the ethernet ports rather than one of the USB ports

Assign the printer a static IP on your network then see if you can ping it.

Once you can ping it then you should be able to add the printer as a networked printer through Windows Control Panel.

Never tried adding a USB printer with a Ethernet/USB printer dongle but unless you can get it to respond to a ping I doubt that it is going to work in the fashion you are proposing.

Assign the printer a static IP on your network then see if you can ping it.

This printer is a "standard" printer, aka it does not have any built in networking features, which as far as I know also means that it does not have a MAC address. Without one of those, idk how I could assign a static IP. I don't know why I didn't think about that before. Without that information, I guess it would be impossible to set up what I am proposing. Unless there is something I could place between the printer and the upstairs MoCA LAN bridge that has a MAC address that I could use to route through to connect to the printer?