What's new

Problem AC66U Slowing Speed when plug Eth cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juancubo

New Around Here
Hi all,
I need your help, i dont know what to do
I have an AC66U, my ISP is a FTTH 300Mb/30Mb, i have my Asus conected to my ONT and PPOE configured.
Using only wifi 2.4 and 5Ghz speedtest results are 320Mb/32Mb, tested in my MacMini, MacBookPro and Samsung Note 4 (as i said via WIFI) and everything work fine.

The problem begin when I connect MacMini via ethernet, i rum a speedtest in MacMini via ethernet cable and result is 200Mb/32Mb. I have tried with 3 diferent cables, all of them cat5e or cat6, but result doestn improve. Restarting and same result.
Also when ethernet cable is conected all the speedtest done via wifi with Note4 or MBP are worst, 150Mb/32Mb.
If i disconnect cable, results doesnt improve, i have to restart AC66U with ethernet cable unplugged to obtain again 320Mb/32Mb via Wifi.

What could be the problem? MacMini with ethernet or wifi connection has assigned same IP.

I dont have another PC to connect an ethernet cable, just a PS4, and when i connect it speed doesn't slow down.

Any help?

Thanks!

Shut down your entire network, including the modem if you can and all client devices. Wait for at least 10 minutes and preferably an hour or more. Physically unplug everything you can from the AC power source.

Turn on the modem. Wait 5 minutes.
Turn on the router. Wait 5 minutes.
Turn on any switches.
Turn on your wired LAN devices one by one and see if the issues persist.
If not, turn on each other device one by one testing all previously turned on devices as you go.

Come back with what you find.

Hi.
Yesterday i was doing that test.
Only when i turn on the mac mini and connect it to wired LAN is when the problem appears.
If i turn off everything again but connect Mac mini via wifi everything is fine. If i switch off wifi adapter and plug the cable to router the problem appears again...
I only have another wired device, my PS4, but doesn't generate the problem when i connect it to router...

I have restored to factory settings and doesn't work

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry, can't troubleshoot much further for you. :(

Does it have the latest osx? Does it need any updates applied? Is the LAN port expecting a DHCP lease or is it configured as static? Are the LAN port contacts damaged or dirty?

Have you upgraded the router's firmware to the latest release (I would suggest RMerlin's firmware over the Asus stock version). If you have upgraded to a newer firmware (at any time) and have not performed a reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP, without using a backup config file to restore the settings with, then that is the only other suggestion I can think of right now.

If none of those fix the issue for you, it may be easiest to simply use WiFi to connect your mini to the network.

Thanks for your help.
I'll try to check the eth port in the mac mini to see if somethings wrong.
I tried restoring factory defaults two times, first one restoring my backup settings and the second one just configuring the basics. And nothing, same shirt.
Also checked traffic, and nothing unusual.
I'll try with Merlin FW, which version is recomended? GUI is similar to Asus FW? Could I come back to stock FW at any moment?

Thanks again

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

The latest version is what I recommend. Make sure you download the right one for your router and you unzip the file you download. If you have any utilities to check the file hash, that is also a good thing to do before you try to flash your router with a new firmware.

http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

The above utility is what I use to check downloaded files and ensure that the download was not corrupted.

RMerlin's firmware is very similar to the stock Asus FW. You can switch back and forth easily with a few limitation (depends how old the firmware you want to go back to is).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!